Which AGP Graphics Card for DELL 30” 3007WFP?

Associate
Hi,

I’m sure this question has been asked before but just to clarify (before I place an order) is there a known AGP graphics card which will support the Dell 30” 3007WFP? I’ve had a look at those which mention Dual DVI and came across one by Gigabyte named Geforce 6800 ULTRA 256MB DDR3 TV-OUT/DUAL DVI. Is this card acceptable? I hardly ever game and needs to be good for watching dvd’s etc...

Any help is much appreciated,

Imran

Associate
im led to believe that you would need a nVidia Quadro Geforce 7800 GTX which i am also led to believe is only avalable from Dell.

I also believe i am barking up wrong tree, this is not AGP. Sorry

Last edited:
Associate
uhh... that appears to be pci-e:

url

NVIDIA
nVidia Quadro Geforce 7800 GTX (Compatible with Dell 3007WFP 30-inch WideScreen Monitor)
£384.23
incl. VAT, shipping
Usually Ships: 5-7 Days

Overview Features & Benefits

Product Highlights
API Supported : Microsoft® DirectX® 9, OpenGL® 2
Device Type : Graphics Card
Features : SLI ready, TV Capture, CineFX™ 4.0 Technology, IntelliSample™ 4.0 Technology, PureVideo™ Technology, Unified Driver Architecture (UDA), Integrated Full-Hardware MPEG-2 Support
Interface Type : PCI-E
Port(s) Total ( Free ) / Connector Type : 2 x DVI
RAMDAC Clock Speed : 400 MHz

Soldato
i think your going find a 32" LCD TV is going be a lot better picture for movies then the dell 30" monitor..

The res is all wrong on the dell 30" for watching movies..

Caporegime
cottoneye said:
Hi,

I’m sure this question has been asked before but just to clarify (before I place an order) is there a known AGP graphics card which will support the Dell 30” 3007WFP? I’ve had a look at those which mention Dual DVI and came across one by Gigabyte named Geforce 6800 ULTRA 256MB DDR3 TV-OUT/DUAL DVI. Is this card acceptable? I hardly ever game and needs to be good for watching dvd’s etc...

Any help is much appreciated,

Imran
No standard AGP card with have dual-LINK DVI ports - try a Quadro/FireGL card, but they are pretty expensive...

If you can afford to spend that much on a monitor buy a cheap PCIe mobo and a compatible 7800GT to run it - no point otherwise, better to go for a HDTV LCD if you are only watching DVDs...

The 7800GS AGP might, but it might be a while before it turns up

Soz :(

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
You will need to look at the Nvidia Quadro or ATI FireGL cards. The 6800 cards are 2 DVI port Dual DVI, not Dual Link DVI, which is what is required.

Single link DVI only carries 1920 x 1200 max which is why the warning with the 30" monitors.

Associate
Seeing that I am also a buyer waiting for my new video card selection before lunging down hard earned money for my 30"er. I have been looking into this quite a lot. Here's my take which hopefully will help clarify some of the earier posts. Also confirm some of what has already been said.

1. To acheive the digital resolution of 2560x1600 you need a Dual Link capable card with Dual TDMS which I believe combines two digital signals to create the above resolution, this in turn MUST be sent down a DVI-D connection. Please note, this is just my take and view, of how I understand it to work. So if someone proves me wrong, great i wont be offended, Anyone serious about buying these really nice monitors needs to know the full facts before spending BIG ££££ :)

2. DVI-I has a different pin out from DVI-I. Most of todays video cards have DVI-i (be it single or dual) and not DVI-D.

3. Some people are posting that the new generation of Ati and nVidia X1800X & 7800gt(x) has dual link support. However, its still important to note that whilst this is true, both dell and apple clearly state DVI-D.

Does this help anyone at all ?

Cheers,
-casw1000

Associate
Actually, I also wanted to correct a point quoted earlier. Quote "The 6800 cards are 2 DVI port Dual DVI, not Dual Link DVI". You are correct as a rule, however, the is one exception to that rule!

I am thinking here of the nVidia 6800 Ultra which nVidia designed for the Apple platform. This WAS an AGP card, and it did have Dual Link DVI to fully support TWO 30" LCD's.

Not flaming ;) just pointing out that its a small possibility that an agp card *could* work. But I have to agree that anything older than this 6800Ultra would probably not be the best solution for a screen of this size if it worked at all.

-casw1000
EDIT : This was the first post I saw of was of particular interest. After making these posts, I noticed a 3007WFP Official thread. Having read through that, there seems to a be a general view, that most X1800 series and 7800GTX does appear to support the 30".

Also, as someone said, check the manufacturers technical specs to see the magical 2560x1600. Maybe the DVI-D isn't such a big deal.

All I care about is getting the right video card to work on this monitor.

Last edited:
Caporegime
DVI-I is DVI-D + analogue transmission (an all-encompassing standard), so in fact it covers any requirement for DVI-D that the manu specifies.

Most cards have DVI-I outputs where most monitors have DVI-D inputs - work fine together...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
ps3ud0, nice one m8. So the only thing to really be sure of is the specs clearly define the resolution we're trying to reach, and er, thats it really.

Makes me feel better. The only thing I am going to *cough* monitor now is how well the monitor works in the real world as a games display.

Sure, everyones talking about the down scaling etc, but I sure aint going to spend a heap of money if the general feedback is dont use for games.

Anyway, I shall keep watching the official thread and contriubte there now.

Cheers,
-casw1000

Associate
Hey Eric, good to see you on the boards. Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Cheers,
-casw1000

UPDATE : I have checked out the link by Eric, and it's excellent. Go check it out. I grabbed the following off the site, but it does have a graphical representation of the DVI connectors / pin layout.

This taken from the site.

DVI-D (digital only)
DVI-A (analog only)
DVI-I (digital and analog)

Last edited:
Permabanned
PNY 6600GT AGP DUAL DVI U.S Version supports two dell 30" montitors.

Mines arriving soon.

Check apple forums, and google PNY 6600GT 30" apple and after a little trawling you will find there are a few folks who have them with total success.

The European version only has one DVI, whereas the US version is HDTV Dual Dvi and all the rest of it.

The card is cheap as chips.

$100 odd.

Associate
Excuse my stupidty :)

The cable from the monitor to the graphics card will only be a normal cable its not going to have 2 connectors at the graphics card end is it??

Does the Dell come with the cable required?

With an SLI config is this an issue?

Associate
Correct, its a normal cable, and no two headers, just the one as Sli is done internally to the video cards.

Its more about, can the Sli configuration be setup to display a resolution of 2560x1600 IN SLi mode.

You need to find out if the drivers you use for SLi can select 2560x1600, if they can and they are operating in SLi mode, then heck, it might just work.

Good luck.

-casw1000

shame about the price increase on the 30" er :(

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your help so far :)

CoupeMad said:
PNY 6600GT AGP DUAL DVI U.S Version supports two dell 30" montitors.

Mines arriving soon.
Just wondering if you’ve got your card yet and if so does it work with the Dell?

I found a couple on eBay, not sure if they’re the right ones as some are named “6600GT Verto”.

Imran

Back
Top Bottom