Speeding - Arghhh!

Soldato
OP
I may as well.

I join a dual carriageway at ~70mph after overtaking a lorry on a large sliproad. I pull out and cross over in to the outside lane to overtake another lorry sat on the inside. I speed up to around 80mph and am behind a 106. There is a Transit Connect van swallowing the road behind me, super-bright headlights and all, and so when the 106 moves over I begin to speed up. On to a speed of (Square root of 15,000) I sit for approximately 4 miles overtaking traffic in the outside lane. While beginning to lag, I'm surprised the old van is keeping with me.

Anyway, I pull off the carriageway up to a roundabout, the van behind me. I take the first exit off and in to a particularly windy and dark ex-NSL that has been reduced to 50mph. I'm going through at an indicated 60 with the van still in tow. Up ahead is an old Lexus and I slow down to a similar speed of 40 a few car lengths behind. Now the van is so close to my back I'm just being blinded by the lights.

We head in to my village and it's start to brighten from the streetlamps. Oh ****. That isn't a Transit Connect - it's a full marked up police Focus Estate :(

They follow me all the way unto a junction with a turn right lane, which I take (To get home) and they pull up next to me. I just glance over, and both are staring holes in my eye sockets with faces like I just spat on their kids.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mmm, very unusal but I would have thought that they would have pulled you over if they wanted too.

Probably safe but you've got a anixous 2 and a bit weeks :)

Edit - By the way you have a switch on your mirror for when headlights behind are annoying you ;) (Only messing around I can completely understand).

Soldato
OP
TripleT said:
Edit - By the way you have a switch on your mirror for when headlights behind are annoying you ;) (Only messing around I can completely understand).
Lol. Even so, I don't have one on either of my wing mirrors!

Man of Honour
I suspect that they were called to another job and were unable to deal with you. Either that or they had no official speed measuring apparatus on board. Because traffic cars pretty much ALWAYS pull you, unless they can't physically do so for some reason - and this case it was clearly an option to talk to you. They do this so that they know who the driver is, and so there is no question of a posted NIP, but instead you get a verbal one.

You've probably got away with it.

M

Associate
TiZoR said:
Ask the officer are u allowed to tailgate people, which might trigger an accident

And will also get you booked for everything they can find :rolleyes:

It may surprise some people, but coppers are human too. If you try playing the wise guy, especially if you are in the wrong, it will not go down well at all. Be polite and calm, and the experience will often be less painful.

Hope it works out for you PMKeates, but if you were really doing the square root of 15000 mph, you'll be very fortunate!

Alan Woodford

Soldato
Meridian said:
Either that or they had no official speed measuring apparatus on board.

M

If theres 2 coppers in the car then all they need as proof of your speed is to read from the speedo and shove what ever speed they agree on in there statement.

No camera or other proof needed.

Soldato
Gojira said:
And will also get you booked for everything they can find :rolleyes:

Not always... an unmarked police car (a Corsa in this case) didn't indicate at a junction which I was waiting to turn into. I would have been able to go a lot sooner if he had indicated.

Anyway, he turns into the junction and I set off normally but when he guns it, I put my foot down a bit to catch up.

As it's foggy I decide... hmmm, have a bit of my main beam.

About 1/2 a mile down the road, he stops dead, so I slam it in reverse and start to back up... only when he gets out and it's a bloody police man.

I stop the car, get out, apologise and explain that I hate it when people don't indicate at junctions.

He tells me that I'm lucky they had to be elsewhere otherwise they would book me. The funny thing is, after we got back into our cars, he didn't speed off or anything... just proceeded to do 35mph in front of me. Idiots :p

Soldato
lol, I knew that was coming. So, :rolleyes: back at ya.

If I know I can outrun what ever car peeves me off (like a boyracer in a Fiesta), I'll happily give them a taste of their own medicine.

Anyway, I always lock my doors late at night, so he would have had a hard time getting it open, by which time I would be half way down the street.

Permabanned
agw_01 said:
lol, I knew that was coming. So, :rolleyes: back at ya.

If I know I can outrun what ever car peeves me off (like a boyracer in a Fiesta), I'll happily give them a taste of their own medicine.

Anyway, I always lock my doors late at night, so he would have had a hard time getting it open, by which time I would be half way down the street.

LMAO! So your big and hard behind the wheel. But if someone got out the car to confront you, you would..........drive off!

I'm sorry but I don't think people like you should be allowed on the road.

Permabanned
agw_01 said:
Of course I would drive off... as would millions of other people (including you I bet) in my situation.

But you're big and hard behind the wheel?

And I wouldn't BE in that situation. Because I don't mess about on the roads.

Back
Top Bottom