Is this a good idea? (205 GTi)

Soldato
I'm going to have a little bit of cash in the summer to buy a car and for as long as I can remember I've always wanted a Peugeot 205 GTi. I'm now finally old enough to get reasonably cheap insurance on one but I won't have a great deal to spend on one or massive amounts of cash to spend fixing it if it goes wrong all the time. Realistically I'm looking at being able to spend around £700 to £800 on a car. I'd like a 1.9 but for my money I'm more likely to go for the 1.6 as hopefully I'll get a better car. The car will be unmodified and from what I've seen have 100k+ on the clock. As I've said I won't have a massive disposable income to spend on the car (being a student). Does this sound like a stupid idea and more importantly will the car prove to be a massive money sponge. I will have cash to spend on the car (little by litte) but I need a reliable runner that I can spend money on when I have it.

Man of Honour
Shouldn't be a money pit providing the engine has been provided with regular changes of good quality oil and the rear beam is not excessively worn.
They do have a bit of an appetite for suspension consumables (balljoints, topmounts, track rod ends, dampers, droplinks) but these components are not overly pricey to replace.

You're almost certain to get a much nicer 1.6 than 1.9 for the money, and you'll likely find it far more rewarding to drive.

Associate
You should be able to pick a decent running 1.6 for that money if your not to bothered about cosmetics. One of my mates had one at uni it was pretty reliable. I think the only problem was with the gearbox which was a bit dodgy.

Man of Honour
lowcostinks said:
yeah i would go for the 1.6 GTI version its better lighter and faster so i beleave.
It isn't actually faster, but it is a far smoother engine that revs an awful lot better than the 1.9 which can be a little tardy and rough. Personally, I think the brake balance of the 1.6 is better and the 14" wheels suit the 205's nimble chassis better than the 15" 1.9 wheels which can make it feel cumbersome.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. I feel much more confident about getting one now :) Seems the 1.9 is just under a second faster 0-60 than the 1.6. Only thing itlacks is the half leather :( Been looking about and £800 will get me not a bad 1.6. Seen one on auto trader that needs a little work on the inside (I think the heater needs a repair and the boot leaks) but only has 80k on the clock and had 2 one owner from new I think. Also lots of spared on ebay (drivers seat seems to be a common problem). Really looking forward to getting one now, I've wanted one for about the past 10 years!!

GT3

GT3

Soldato
My mates just got an absolute minter of a 1.9 for £1200. Full engine rebuilt, bodywork is mint (plastics are faded thats it), the leather has been retrimmed inside, wheels have been refurbed, all bushes, dampers, brakes, cambelt, clutch was replaced 5k miles ago. Ok its on 106k and its an F reg but I'd love to own it.

Jay

Jay

Associate
Come over to www.205gtidrivers.com mate. Some very helpful people and some good 205's pop up in the for sale section. Also on the main website it tell's you what to look for when going on a sale inspection (rust points, rear beam creaking/cambering, etc etc..)

Word of warning, if you get one and you treasure your hearing, don't fit group N engine mounts! :D

Soldato
A friend of mines going to be putting the 1.9 from my now deceased 309 GTi in his 1.6 soon. It'll be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes, he's thinking about keeping the 1.6 gearbox, but we're not sure if thats a good idea or not. (Sekim on 205gtidrivers and Mike S on M and H for those who know him.)

Soldato
OP
Jay said:
Come over to www.205gtidrivers.com mate. Some very helpful people and some good 205's pop up in the for sale section. Also on the main website it tell's you what to look for when going on a sale inspection (rust points, rear beam creaking/cambering, etc etc..)

Word of warning, if you get one and you treasure your hearing, don't fit group N engine mounts! :D

Thanks for that mate, VERY useful as I've been looking (with no success) for a goot 205 GTi website/forum!

Man of Honour
burns said:
A friend of mines going to be putting the 1.9 from my now deceased 309 GTi in his 1.6 soon. It'll be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes, he's thinking about keeping the 1.6 gearbox, but we're not sure if thats a good idea or not. (Sekim on 205gtidrivers and Mike S on M and H for those who know him.)
I would definitely retain the 1.6 'box :)

Soldato
Lopéz said:
I would definitely retain the 1.6 'box :)
He's got the 1.9 in on the 1.6 box now, and likes it very much:). Torque all over the place compared to the 1.6. It should be out on the Carpet Bagger this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom