Question for Linksys WAG354G users

Soldato
Hi all,

I am trying to help get my brother connected to his AOL account using a Linksys WAG354G. Now we have got his account in tapped in and we have set it up to connect via PPPoE. The strange thing is, on the status tab of the HTML config pages, when i look into the Gateway Status Tab, it say that the login is down, but yet my brother is still able to connect to the internet via the Linksys WAG354G. He is connected via a network cable and via wifi. His machine has been assigned an IP for the wifi connection and it is reporting it to be connected fine, but if we then unplug the network cable, he can nolonger get onto the internet. It is as if the box does not want to route the wifi traffic.

Should the gateway status page tab be reporting the IP assigned by AOL?

Cheers

Soldato
Any reason for changing the MTU? Yeah, that's what AOL's network is configured to work on. It is a bit non standard, but that's nothing new with AOL.

For what it is worth, you would have a semi-working internet connection if you didn't change the MTU to 1400, but you'd have odd problems with sites (particularly https) not loading.

MTU = maximum transmission unit btw, it is the maximum size in bytes that a packet of data can be. If the MTU on your equipment is too large you'll get packet fragmentation which is bad.

Soldato
OP
Opps, yeah i knew all that. What i should have said was the PPPoA and PPPoE. I have always used A on my network with PlusNet and Pipex but for some reason AOL ask you to use PPPoE. I'm not sure if this is something to do with AOL's supplied modem (rubbish thing) or just them talking carp.

Caporegime
leaskovski said:
What i should have said was the PPPoA and PPPoE. I have always used A on my network with PlusNet and Pipex but for some reason AOL ask you to use PPPoE. I'm not sure if this is something to do with AOL's supplied modem (rubbish thing) or just them talking carp.

The latter. It's PPPoA either way (on BTw ADSL), the fact you throw in some ethernet to keep AOL's network happy isn't important.
AFAIK, PPPoA works too (and would work faster, and with less latency).

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I think that we need to update the firmware for the box as well.

Can anyone confirm what information is displayed on the gateway status page within the config webpages? Does it get updated with the IP/DNS settings from the ISP DHCP server?

Thanks

Caporegime
leaskovski said:
Can anyone confirm what information is displayed on the gateway status page within the config webpages? Does it get updated with the IP/DNS settings from the ISP DHCP server?

It's not DHCP, but yes, it should get the details from the ISP.

Soldato
OP
Right! We got this working in the end.

It turns out that when my brother created a screen name for the router to login with, AOL automatically Capitalised the first letter, thus it wasn't able to logon properly!

Doh! Thanks all for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom