Free Firewalls no more ?

Associate
I know recently we lost Sygte to Symantec and now Kerio has bitten the dust leaving.........?

Has anyone got any suggesions for an alternative or have the days or free firewalls (Bar the windows firewall) gone for good ? :eek:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
lowcostinks said:
have you got a nforce chip set if so nvidia do a really good firewall!
i would have to totally disagree there, its the worst firewall i have ever seen, countless problems until i disable it

as said, windows firewall is all good...

Associate
I installed Kerio after reading about it on here.
It seems very similar to Sygate, which I have been using for years until yesterday.
I'm impressed so far with it, but not sure what features i'll lose after the 30day trial period.

Man of Honour
l33t_p3t3 said:
I installed Kerio after reading about it on here.
It seems very similar to Sygate, which I have been using for years until yesterday.
I'm impressed so far with it, but not sure what features i'll lose after the 30day trial period.
I think you will lose the ad blocking and advanced filtering features.

Caporegime
Enzo said:
I know recently we lost Sygte to Symantec and now Kerio has bitten the dust leaving.........?

Has anyone got any suggesions for an alternative or have the days or free firewalls (Bar the windows firewall) gone for good ? :eek:

Why change your firewall at all?

Did you ever update the actual firewall or ring the company for support on it - even if you did upgrade it did you realy get anything important from the new version - no would be my guess. So where's the problem in continuing to use it?
God knows how many years I've been on Kerio 2.x.x without a single problem, which is why I'll continue to use it. If I didn't look at these forums I'd be happily unaware that it was not supported any more, and I know many people with it installed that wouldn't know it was dead.
There's a morbid facination with updating to the latest version just seemingly because it's there, and if and when those updates dry up people swap to something else becuase they feel left out or something.
Don't be a sheep, just keep using whatever you like to use, it's not going to break just because a company has decided to cease supporting it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Zonealarm used to make me shout at my computer on a regular basis!... Flippin 'Pop-up' Questions!...

I just use the WinXP SP2 Firewall and never run Internet Explorer!... Never had a problem (where'd I put me lump of wood???... Ahh here it is!..) 'Touch Wood!!' :)

Associate
theres an option to make zone alarm not ask you anything, ever. i always tick it on my sister and fathers computers so they dont mess anything up! :p

Back
Top Bottom