Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro TwinX

Associate
Thinking of upgrading to this for my new pc upgrade. Pc specs in sig. Is this ram highly recommended for 146 o/c on a DFI Ultra SLI D? Has anyone had any problems with this ram at all??

Soldato
I've been running this ram no probs:) Mine is currently running at 225MHz (5/6 divider from my 270MHz FSB) at timings of 2-3-2-6...

Plus it looks cool with the flashing lights! Always a bonus! Did have problems installing it cos I've got an XP90C heatsink. Had to remove the heatsink to be able to install the RAM cos it was quite tall with the lights on, but that was the only problem...

Associate
That rams been doing me a good job too. I've had it at 260 at 2.5-3-3-6 and I run it normally at 240 2-3-3-6. I might even have a little more room to tighten. I am putting 3v though it, but again, i haven't really played with 2.9 let alone 2.8.

Associate
One thing though. If you are using a DFI board then this probably is not the ram for you. Though a good number of users have no problem using Corsair with DFI's, a good number find that they just don't mix. I bought the ram first then chose the motherboard (an ASUS A8N- SLi premium), but if you are starting with a motherboard then go for OCZ PC3200 Platinum or some Geil; they seem to work well with DFI's.

Associate
I have been looking at this ram for a while, but I was wondering whther it is that much better than the bog standard Corsair 2GB 3200 set for about £160. What do you guys think?

Also Iam a bit worried about getting some sweet RAM then having a AMD socket change in Q2 :/

nana

Associate
Bananaman, if you are looking to get 265mhz out of a 2 gig set then XMS3200PT CAS2 almost certainly won't be quick enough. In fact XMS3500LL might not do the job. Then again even the best PC4000 sets are not gauranteed to get that fast (though most probably will).

If you are prepared to use a divider, which is nothing like the bugbear it used to be, then any PC3200 will probably get you to where you want to be in terms of Ghz. If you want to get good timings and keep your ram speed high then the XMS3500LL is a good choice. I get 240mhz at 2-3-3-6 and use a 166 divider to put me at 289 HTT. I was using a 133 divider but once i realised that the ram could take the jump it shaved nearly 3 mins off my Superpi 32m time. Though ram speed is not as important as it used to be, it still makes a big difference in my experiance and therefore i'd recommend something that can get you into that mid 200s range without silly voltage.

Associate
Corsair 4000pt will get you anything up to 290 on good timings. I have the 3500lls and they are happy up to 250 with great timings for gig sticks.

Associate
OP
I have had a look on DFI street and there is a thread somewhere showing which ones work and the ram I mentioned seems to be working on the board/compatable.

Associate
I don't doubt you, but check the boards again, particularly the sticky started by Sharp. You might find that though corsair will run on these boards, they don't run and overclock as well as they do on others and on they choke up, for whatever reason, quicker than say OCZ.

I will actually look into it too because I still like the idea of trying a DFI expert at some point. Maybe one of my brother can be convinced into letting me put a computer together for them. :)

Associate
I know Angry's breakdown of corsair. It is the only reason that i know that some people have luck using it (and overclocking it) on DFIs. If you look to other threads though where they discuss how well it overclocks you'll see it either under performs or outright fails.

My guess is that it's poor performance is probably due to the number of options on most DFI boards; somewhere along the lines there is probably some innocent looking default setting that does not mix with Corsair. But i've not got enough experiance with DFIs to have anything more than this opinion.

Back
Top Bottom