iPod Video and scratching

Associate
I bought an iPod video just over a week ago and have been very impressed with it, I ordered an Evo3 skin for it. Looking at the back of the device, it is shiny as I'd expect but looking closely it's absolutely covered in tiny scratches. After noticing this I decided to have a close look at the front and when held at an angle under a light there are lots of tiny scratches on the screen. The iPod has only ever been sat face up or in it's supplied pouch. The screen was not touched by any other object, and yet it's covered in tiny scratches. I have since wiped the screen with a camera lens cloth but have noticed no additional ill effect from doing so.

I'm extremely unhappy about this, I've had a PSP for over a year and the screen on that is still perfect, as anytime I've cleaned it I've used cloths intended for glass or camera lenses.

If anyone is thinking of buying one of these iPods then DO NOT remove the plastic screen protector until you have a decent skin or case. Under no circumstances trust the pouch that Apple supply. That's the only thing my iPod has been in, and I'm far from happy with the results. I wish I'd waited until I had the skin :( :mad:

Soldato
Apple decided to go with the oldschool plastic for the front of these things just like the nano. But it was a big mistake because of the scratching. When I got my video iPod I left the plastic screen protector on it and then bought a silicon skin that I put over that. So its nice and safe. :)

Some people have used certain methods to remove the scratches. Brasso is one :p

Associate
OP
I had heard the nano was very easy to scratch but unfortunately didn't realise the same applied to the video models :(. If I had known I'd have left that screen protector on as well. I have some displex display polish ordered, and might give that a try, the name sounds more comforting than Brasso (although I had read ages ago of people using it on their PSP's).

I'm still completely 'd off about it all though.

Caporegime
Does it sound worse now it's scratched? I honestly wouldn't worry about it. You can't sell the things on anyway cause there are millions of them around, and I really doubt it winds you up that much.

Associate
OP
Caged said:
Does it sound worse now it's scratched? I honestly wouldn't worry about it. You can't sell the things on anyway cause there are millions of them around, and I really doubt it winds you up that much.

Sound worse ? Of course not.
Look worse ? Of course it does. That's the problem. If I wanted something that sounded good and didn't care about looks I'd have bought something else.

It doesn't wind me up that much, but I was far from happy when I noticed. I keep my stuff in good nick. I have a 2.5 year old laptop that people think is brand new due to its' condition, my year old PSP still looks mint. My 10 day old iPod is scratched. Go figure.

Soldato
My mates left the plastic cover over the front of his until he gets a skin thing, as another lad i know had his a week and it was pretty badly scratched too. Nothing you can do really, its what they are made of on the front.

Caporegime
I left my plastic cover thingy on the front of my ipod till i got my iskin evo3 case....the back of mine is kinda scratched but seriously it doesnt bother me at all:p...its not like i take the ipod out of my case anyways as the iskin still allows me to dock it up to my laptop via usb.

Soldato
When I got my 2nd 4G iPod, i had learnt from the first time, so I walked around with the plastic cover which says 'dont steal music' on it until my Vaja case arrived.

I'd be still worried about the silicone cases as they will rub the ipod when putting on, any dust and 'scraaatch'. The vaja leather case was amazing, well worth the money, I sold my ipod saying it was virtually brand new due to the condition it was in.

Associate
because the edge becomes frayed very quickly so the edges will become flappy soon, forcing you to take it off.

Also, the clickwheel doesn't work as well (to press as buttons, because the sticky film is covering the gaps across the edges of the clickwheel) as it does without the film.

Associate
Jimbo Mahoney said:
It's just stuff.

In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter.

(Not wanting to sound patronising, just trying to help you chill).

When you spend a lot of money on something some people feel that it is important to maximise its life time and look after it generally.

For instance i havent bought anything for myself in about 2 years and as soon as i decide which mp3 player to get for myself ill be looking after it so much! (That and im a poor student who cant afford to replace them every year etc).

Associate
Also, if you look after it properly, it might just fetch enough when you sell it on so that you can upgrade a new one without quite as much outlay as if you sold a completely mangled, scratched up unit for next to nothing. Keeping an iPod in a reasonably good condition really helps with resale prices, which affects most people unless they plan on using the current one until its death.

Also, it probably depends largely on personality but I would hate to carry around a mangled MP3 player. Not because it's something that is hugely important in any way (as you say, it's just stuff) but I just prefer to keep my things relatively clean and well maintained if I can possibly help it. Just the way I am.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
jhmaeng said:
because the edge becomes frayed very quickly so the edges will become flappy soon, forcing you to take it off.

Also, the clickwheel doesn't work as well (to press as buttons, because the sticky film is covering the gaps across the edges of the clickwheel) as it does without the film.
yes, but mine lasted at least 2 weeks before the edges became 'frayed', and i wouldnt have minded it how it was for least another couple of weeks, so whats the prob in leaving it on until you buy a case :confused:

Associate
Oh, I thought you were suggesting that people keep it on permanently... :o

I kept mine on until I got a case myself, but only because of the countless "OMG My ipod is scratched to death" posts on various forums. If I didn't know beforehand the sheer scratch-ability of the iPod, I would have stripped the plastic film out of habit (can't bear to see those things on usually) then ended up with a slightly mangled ipod to show for it.

Associate
OP
A2Z said:
why would you remove the plastic strip on the screen in the first place...

Because I didn't realise how easilly it would get scratched. If I had known then what I know now that little piece of plastic would have been left on until the case arrived. Hindsight's a great thing, just like asking rhetorical questions.

With regards to it just being stuff, well I wouldn't be bothered but I keep everything in good condition. It's nothing to do with selling it on, I just like to keep my stuff looking as good and new as possible. It's just the way I am.

My Evo3 case arrived today so the iPod is now in there. I have a Radtech Sleevz case en route to see what that's like as well. I also have some displex screen polish to try out if the scratches continue to annoy me.

youstolemyid...do not remove that plastic screen cover until your case is there and you're ready to place the iPod into it.

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers for the advice.

evo3 came today, very happy with it. £23 a bit steep for it but if it stops it scratching it's worth it.

I've left the screen protector on and put it in the iskin, all controls work fine and is protected twice. Sorted.

Soldato
i'm incredibly careful with my stuff, and nearly everything i own is in mint condition. But the ipod just scratches so easily, I 've basically given up. Its always in its case now, so you can't see the scratches, and I won't sell it on when I upgrade to a new version, I'll just probably keep it as a portable HD

Back
Top Bottom