No XP Welcome Screen on Bootup

Associate
Howdy, I posted about this problem a few months ago and it turned into a who knows more about security argument and I think the mods removed it!

Anywhoooo. I'm runing XP pro but for some reason it will not stop at the welcome screen when you fire the computer up. It will go straight into the Administrator account without even asking for the password that I have set on it.

Obviously this is a security issue but the most annoying thing is that it crashes the first 2 times you try and log out of the Administrators acount. After 2 reset button presses you are guarenteed that the third logoff/switch user will work. Obviuosy this is annoying as effectively I have to load windows 3 times before I can get in another account on the machine.

In the users control panel it says on the Administrator account will not be used after a new account is set up, obviously this is wrong! What I don't understand is why it has done this as I've installed XP Pro accross several PC's and I've never had this trouble before.

Any advice would be good as I'm close to throwing the PC at the Wall!

Cheers

Associate
Go into control panel -> users accounts.
Click "change the way users log on or off"
Check the "Use welcome screen"

Does that help? If not, then I'm not sure.
Perhaps check for spyware or trojans?

Permabanned
Its probably because you ticked Windows automatically logs this user on bla when installing windows. Do what overload says and also try creating another user account and see if that changes anything.

Associate
maybe you have it set to login automatically
go start->run-> type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes

There is a box "users must enter a password to use this computer"

or the other option is turn the welcome screen off and it should stop at the password login box (the old style windows 2000 login box or the one you get when you are on a domain)

Back
Top Bottom