1997ish Audi A4

Suspended
What are these cars like to run? I'm interesting in getting one to replace my current car as I'll be doing more motorway driving now with a change of job.

I've been looking on autotrader and they seem to be going for around the 2k mark. High mileage isn't too much of a problem for me as I only want it for 2 maybe 3 years.

However with it being an Audi I'm a bit concerned about servicing and replacing parts. Any feedback?

Steve

Man of Honour
If stuff needs replacing, it will cost a fortune. For £2k any 97 you get will likely be very poor specification - avoid the 1.6 and 1.8.

To be honest, either get enough money for a decent prestige car or don't bother. Buying them on a budget is just a waste of time, you end up with a tired old hack that costs a fortune to run that you've paid top dollar for.

Associate
It depends how mechanically minded you are. a lot of Audi parts are "dealer replaced only" but with a bit of savvy and the right tools you can do a lot of stuff. I had to buy a torx driver recently to allow me to change the headlight bulbs, that or pay almost £50 for the dealer to do.
Like Fox says, getting a cheap prestige car is not really worth it, you could get a much newer, higher specced Mondeo or similar for the same money.
Saying that I like mine, probably the best car I have owned. It's almost 5 years old now but still looks like new after a good wash.

Suspended
OP
My main problem is that I'm only 19 so insuring it is a problem.

Basically I need a car that can cover 80-100 motorway miles a day comfortably for less than £2k. I could stretch to 3k if the insurence was really low. Comfort is a big must as my current car is the most uncomfortable I've ever sat in.

Soldato
refuzion said:
My main problem is that I'm only 19 so insuring it is a problem.

Basically I need a car that can cover 80-100 motorway miles a day comfortably for less than £2k. I could stretch to 3k if the insurence was really low. Comfort is a big must as my current car is the most uncomfortable I've ever sat in.
Let's see if anyone besides Fox or myself say what I am thinking...

Man of Honour
refuzion said:
Yeah, I can feel the way this is going too.... :p

Did Ford do a 2.0 ghia x? I'm thinking insurance would be a problem on a 2.5 v6 at 19.

Yes they do. I was the same age as you and went through the same thoughts as you and chose the Mondeo. It has served me will and will hopefully continue to until I've got the cash to buy a proper prestige car :)

Bat

Bat

Associate
My 1996 A4 1.8SE has cost me very little to maintain. In fact all I have paid out on is tyres and servicing. It has 110k on the clock and the only thing to have gone wrong is a bulb in the climate control display!

It is extremely comfortable and also fun to drive. The N/A 1.8 20V is in fact a pretty decent engine. You need to rev it to get the most of the 125BHP, but I find it good fun, and that's coming from a Mk2 Golf GTI previously.

Soldato
The A4 is a great car, not saying otherwise.

However, for the £2000 mark it's very hard to find a mint A4, espescially one with all the toys a Ghia X has.

I paid £900 for my 97 Ghia X with 88k on the clock. I loved it to bits and still do. But a nasty man in a white van killed her with his stupidity so she is now lying in some bodyshop yard probably gathering water and rusting until his insurers get off of their butts!

Definately go and have a look/drive of one, make sure it's a manual though as the auto is slow and very unreliable.

Soldato
Do not buy an old A4 to keep for more than 6 months! END! :D

They eat everything under the bonnet but on the upside are very comfy for cruising :D

Wanna buy a cheap 1.6? ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Our '96 1.8SE Avant has only needed a cam belt change (cost deducted on deal) and 3 oil changes since I got it last year in March at 74000 miles and now its at just above 93000 miles with no problems at all and very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom