120mm fan on Shuttle SN45G

Associate
My housemate has a shuttle SN45G and has bought a 80 to 120mm fan adapter and a 120mm fan to fit on the back to replace the 80mm fan so that the system which is a heavily overclocked Athlon 1700 DLT3C will be quieter in his bedroom. He set it up the other day and the system was quite unstable with higher temps than usual, we suspect it is because the fan wasnt pulling enough air through the shuttle ICE.

I know others have done this mod and was wondering if anyone else came accross this problem and how you solved it. Help much appreciated.

Associate
I believe you still have to keep the 80mm fan on the inside and put the 120mm fan on the outside using a push pull configuration. this means that the fan on the inside is pushing air out and the 120mm on the outside is pulling the air out. hence push and pull system.

I wouldnt just recommend ditching the 80mm fan all together, I think you must still use it. Maybe he could get a quieter 80mm fan and replace the 80mm fan with that and then also use the 120mm on the outside.

Associate
it'll work fine with just a 120mm fan, my rig was running like this for months before i watercooled it, i i still use it to cool my 80mm rad which is where the ICE normally sits

Associate
I just attached the adaptor and the fan on the back and removed the shroud inside (dont think that'll make much difference in or out) have you checked you bios or software to ensure the fan is at full speed it could be setup to keep the temp delow 60 or something and therefore run the fan at too slow a speed

Soldato
either make the fan run faster or cut out the grill at the back. the honeycomb grill will restrick something like 30% or somthing stupid like that of the airflow.

if you have a quiet 80mm fan then by al means, do the push pull config as it should work a bit better than jsut a 120 on its own but if not, then one of the other methods

when i tired a 120mm fan on the back of mine, i didnt really notice any difference in temps though was a tad quieter :)

Back
Top Bottom