Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Wireless Cable DSL Router - do i need a seperate modem??

Soldato
OP
ah pooh! I've got 2 sitting here for friends. Will i be able to plug it in to any adsl or cable modem though? Both of them have modems already but just wanted wireless. One of the modems is a usb frog one though = does it matter? Thanks

edit...they both wanted the modem to be on it's own seperate from any pc. I've screwed up, haven't i?

Last edited:
Soldato
If your friends are using cable modems then there isn't a problem - you need to use the cable modem they already have anyway, just plug the network port on the cable modem into the WAN port on the router.

If they have ADSL then you either need to get an ethernet ADSL modem (USB modems like the frog won't be any use, usually about the same price as an ADSL router) or replace it.

I'd strongly advise against the Netgear DG834GT though, the DG834G is pretty solid though.

Soldato
OP
burbleflop said:
If your friends are using cable modems then there isn't a problem - you need to use the cable modem they already have anyway, just plug the network port on the cable modem into the WAN port on the router.

ah, interesting. I think i'll do that then. Is it relatively easy to setup using this process? What are the basic steps of getting this method working? Thank you.

Soldato
It's a doddle. Plug a patch cable between the network port on the modem and WAN port on the router. Connect a PC to the router (with a network cable or wireless) and away you go.

The router should just work out of the box - there are no authentication details for the ISP that need to be entered (that's done by the MAC address on the cable modem) so all you relaly need to do is enable encryption (WPA-PSK being the best option) on the wireless interface.

Soldato
OP
hey thanks. I have a linksys wireless pci card to put in the pc, so it looks like i should be ok, hey? My friend's had his ntl cable modem for a couple of weeks but hasn't bothered installing it yet. Should i set up his internet connection first and then plug in the router/wireless card - are will his ntl settings be pre-configured on his ntl modem?

Thanks again for the help - at least i won't have to send both modems back now!

Soldato
You won't need to do anything to the cable modem itself (you also won't be able to), just plug it in, power it up, connect the router and you should be up and running.

If possible, setup the encryption on the wireless interface on the router when you're cabled to the router. That way when you enter the encryption key you won't drop the connection like a wirelessly connected PC would. If you can't do that, just rescan for networks when the connection drops and enter they key.

You'll probably have a few options for encryption on the router - go for WPA-PSK (where PSK = preshared key, effectively a password) and choose a nice long PSK.

Back
Top Bottom