• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800 vs. 7800 - Worth it?!

Associate
Hello,

I was planning to construct a new computer for this year, in a smaller, less flashy case - something subtle but powerful, like a well-adjusted prize-fighter dwarf....... ahem.

Im sorted on the CPU/RAM/etc, but I am stuck with the graphics. I cant use my current card, a XFX 6800GT, as it is AGP (remember that ^_^) and i need PCI for the barebones systems motherboard, so do i stick with an affordable PCI 6800, or go for an entry level 7800 (i.e the OCUK COD2 bundle for ~£200)??

Is the jump from one range to another range really worth it?

Cheers,
John

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I made the move and it performs a lot better in games like F.E.A.R and CoD2..they eye candy on FEAR was particularly noticeable..a lot more particle effects, dust in the air when shooting boxes, that sort of thing

plus you can aslo recoup part of the cost by selling the 6800gt which I think still has a demand £100-£130 quid maybe?

meaning you get a nice little boost in graphics performance for not a great deal of outlay

Soldato
I made the upgrade from a 6800GT to a 7800GT and you can definately notice the improvement. I couldn't run FEAR on max settings with my 6800 where as I can with my 7800 and its very smooth gameplay.

Associate
You will notice a difference, but a 6800 is still a good card, just wait a few months for an EVEN BETTER card than the 7800 :D, i know its a bit stupid because you will always be waiting for better cards, but it is usualy best to skip every other generation, unless your rich ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I dont think ill be able to afford even an entry level next-gen card though. I need something that will last (possibly for years) but if the 6800 is not that surpassed by the 7800, then I may as well keep with the 6800 in PCI form and save the money...

Like the thread title - i need to know if its worth the extra money ill pay.

Associate
Simple answer is yes, it is worth the money.

Its a good card and will last for quite some time and the performance upgrade from a 6800GT to a 7800GT is most noticable.

Just incase you wanted to add better cooling, note the XFX card you can remove the stock HSF and replace it with a better one with out voiding the warrently. But I could be greatly mistaken on that fact so don't quote me on it.

None the less, in short. I advise you t for a 7800GT, good, reliable fast card.

Associate
OP
Agent WD40 said:
Just incase you wanted to add better cooling, note the XFX card you can remove the stock HSF and replace it with a better one with out voiding the warrently. But I could be greatly mistaken on that fact so don't quote me on it.

I replaced the stock HSF on my XFX 6800GT, that was quite easy, and reduces the volume and temperature drastically, in fact, i recommend it to everyone with a 6800! (The Arctic Cooling NV6) All you need is a screwdriver and an anti static band (don't wanna bork no GFX.)

I haven't seen anything in the AC range that is designed for the 7800, but im sure something will crop up, as i am hoping to recreate that volume and temperature in my new system when it comes about.

Is there any rumors/information kicking about regarding the 7800's replacement?

Soldato
get a 7800GT definatly, the 6800 will start to struggle in a few months i think for a lot of games, and if your using tft you'll have to try and keep at it's native resolution. Its definatly worth the extra £100, plus you get a brand spanking new game! And like someone suggested you could recoup most of this by selling your agp 6800gt(i think they sell more along the lines of £150 on <insert well known auction site name here> :)

Back
Top Bottom