MMA

Suspended
After much consideration, I have decided that I want to try my hand at being a professional fighter in MMA (Cage rage, Pride, Ufc etc).

Does anyone here have any connection to MMA, or give my any idea of where to start? I have been involved with boxng for a long time, but have no idea how to really get into the MMA world. I realise I will have to learn new skills such as BJJ / Judo, but am willing to dedicate basically all my free time to training, and have a pretty good base to work off.

Any help would be welcome.

Soldato
Quite a big step, you sure you really want to go down that road? Many risks such as life long injuries, you will have a lot of regular pains and at worst death..not the things you want if you have a family.
When you start off you wont be anywhere near even cage rage, it would probably be lots of underground fights and stuff, which wont pay good at all. Its not common to make it big and earn a decent amount either.
I might sound like a spoil sport, I am just making you aware of what you probably already know!

Suspended
OP
Thanks Zain, I know what you are talking about and thanks for the sincere reply. I have considred all these things, and am confident in taking this step.

Associate
One thing you might want to consider Depth is to maybe find a club that does Sport Jujitsu. The ruleset is basically a very, very watered down version of MMA and is only semicontact to the body/touch contact to the face. Basically each fight consists of three phases which are timed. Once you get into clinch range you have 15 seconds to take your opponent to the ground. After that you have a further 30 seconds to submit them or the fight returns to standing.

If you like that then take a look on Sherdog or SFUK and find a club in your area that trains in MMA specifically. If they're any good they'll be able to sort you out with your first fight when they think your ready. It may not be as glamorous as Pride/UFC/Cage Rage/etc but neither will it be an underground fight, if it is then the club is no good and frankly you should walk away.

MMA is actually a very safe sport. Yes injuries happen, but to say that you'd be risking death is in my opinion a huge overexageration.

Suspended
OP
Sutters said:
Good luck mate, done abit of vale tudo myself, I can say that it's easily the hardest workout ever and also extremely fun.

Cheers mate, gonna give it my best shot :)

Associate
Slightly off topic: Did you see Ultimate Fight Night 3 the other night? Dana announced a big fight coming up.....

Royce Gracie vs Matt Hughes

That should be quality, although Royce is more than likely going to get his face pounded in, but you never know he might get a RNC.

Associate
Depth said:
After much consideration, I have decided that I want to try my hand at being a professional fighter in MMA (Cage rage, Pride, Ufc etc).

Does anyone here have any connection to MMA, or give my any idea of where to start? I have been involved with boxng for a long time, but have no idea how to really get into the MMA world. I realise I will have to learn new skills such as BJJ / Judo, but am willing to dedicate basically all my free time to training, and have a pretty good base to work off.

Any help would be welcome.

where u based?

Associate
zain said:
Quite a big step, you sure you really want to go down that road? Many risks such as life long injuries, you will have a lot of regular pains and at worst death..not the things you want if you have a family.
When you start off you wont be anywhere near even cage rage, it would probably be lots of underground fights and stuff, which wont pay good at all. Its not common to make it big and earn a decent amount either.
I might sound like a spoil sport, I am just making you aware of what you probably already know!

death? One reported death in a MMA event. Underground fights to start? rubbish, loads of club events take place across the country for beginners with open hand strikes.

Find yourself a BJJ club that trains No-Gi, or a submission wrestling club to get you started on the ground. Keep working on your stand up. Once your comfortable on the ground try to find a club that you can visit say once a week that incorporates everything (ground and standup).

Maybe visit/take part in amateur tournament (check this link 2006 UK MMA calendar so far:- http://p102.ezboard.com/fsfuksubmissionfightinguksfukmmaforum.showMessage?topicID=20066.topic)

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom