Chelsea need a striker

Associate
as a chelsea fan with crespo upfront and drogba am sure we need a new forward! Cole isnt anything good as he never gets a game and drogba is just pants! crespo is good but does not play football like the english do.

is this just me or do chelsea really need a new player upfront!

Soldato
I've been thinking that for a few seasons now... they don't seem to have that one player that guarantees loads of goals...

However, they don't seem to need one since they get goals from players all round the pitch

Permabanned
No they don't.no one can catch them as it is :)
Odd that the two best teams in the league ( :p ) don't have a consistent free-scoring striker between them.

Man of Honour
They used to be OK up front with Forssell, Hasselbaink and Mutu in addition to Crespo, Gudjohnsen and Cole.

I think their problem is that they have been snubbed/failed in attempts for a whole host of forwards, such as Vieiri, Eto'o, Shevchenko, Henry.

Remember though, that Mourinho seems to favour a lone striker with two attacking midfielders supporting him... e.g. Cole, SWP, Robben, Duff etc. So for that formation it isn't essential to have as many strikers as a club employing a traditional 4-4-2.

Associate
what about gudjohnson, hes pretty sweet, if you ever gave him more then 15mins on the pitch in which he scores, then he'd be top dollar again.

if not sell him to newcastle, we'd love him.

Soldato
I think the way that they play isn't necessarily conducive to a 25+ goals a season forward, on the other hand it's ideal for getting goals for midfielders so I don't think they have too much to worry about.

Soldato
I fear for the state of the premier league as it is let alone if Chelsea get there hands on a true great! I breathed a sigh of relief when Shearer went to Newcastle instead of Man Utd all those season ago and I do the same when ever Chelsea fail to sign another world class striker. there just too good already and I don't want to contemplate them being any better!

Associate
Yes they really need a new striker as winning by only a goal or two just isn't good enough.... ;)

I think they've already got two good strikers in Drogba and Crespo.

Crespo 22 games (10) sub 10 goals
Drogba 26 games (9) sub 10 goals

I wouldn't say that was poor in the premiership

Man of Honour
Nah, if one of them gets injured it won't matter that much, because they only play one of them at a time anyway usually. This is in contrast to e.g. MU, who might run into trouble if one of RvN/Rooney gets injured. They have replacements, but not of the same calibre.

Soldato
HangTime said:
Nah, if one of them gets injured it won't matter that much, because they only play one of them at a time anyway usually. This is in contrast to e.g. MU, who might run into trouble if one of RvN/Rooney gets injured. They have replacements, but not of the same calibre.

I hear that. Saha is on form at the moment and with Solskjaer approaching form again I reckon we could go a few games without Ruud defo, but they seem a bit lost without Rooney, especially if Scholes isnt playin anyway.

Need one of those 2 because they're such good play makers.

Soldato
EasyG said:
what about gudjohnson, hes pretty sweet, if you ever gave him more then 15mins on the pitch in which he scores, then he'd be top dollar again.

if not sell him to newcastle, we'd love him.
Gudjohnsen is a quality striker, but he's too small to play the lone forward role that Chelsea use. That's why they currently have Crespo and Drogba, two fairly strong, tall guys who can challenge for the balls played through to them. What Chelsea would need up front is Adriano, or someone like him.

G|mp said:
They can have me for 18 Mil

With 3 mil a season in wages my agent Mrs G|mp will be in touch
Just get her to tell em that Man Utd are interested in signing you, they'll snap you up in no time. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Chelsea have needed a class striker for a few years now, although Crespo is pretty decent, I've never been convinced by Drogba and Eidur.

They have the dosh to get that elusive forward and I'm sure Jose will be in the market come the close season, or maybe sooner.

Having said that, I hope they stick with what they have, or the gap between them and the rest of us will be gigantic. :(

Permabanned
Weebull said:
Just get her to tell em that Man Utd are interested in signing you, they'll snap you up in no time. ;)

:p

Wheres the "I wanna be a door" sig gone :(

My favourite ever sig that was

Back
Top Bottom