northbridge fan busted

Associate
my MSI K8N SLI Platinum board has been making some wierd noises over the past week and today it's stopped , checked the system over and its the northbridge fan thats stopped and no longer works..
i'm in the process of ordering a new board but proberly won't get it untill next week will it still be safe to run my pc without the fan or am i asking for trouble, also while i'm at it can i replace the fan with a normal heatsink so i can pass the board over to my son bearing in mind the graphics card stradles the thing.. :eek:

Associate
would be better with something cooling it, just keep an eye on the temps. To sort you could get another nb fan and replace the broken one or if there is enough room, which with that board and 2 gfx cards i don't think there will be, you could get a Zalman passive cooler and mod some of the fins so it fits.

google Akasa Chipset Cooler for a replacement fan, only cost about £5

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks for the quick reply in the process of ording my lan party and while checking the coolers the only one that jumps out is the Vantec Iceberq CCB-A1C VGA & Chipset cooling kit (SY-000-VT)
will this fit ok seems like 2 push fit pins holding the old fan in and if the board passes over to my son then he will proberly only need the one gfx card installed. :)

Back
Top Bottom