• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Opteron Skt 939 Overclocking thread !!!!

Associate
Here's where I am at now. Opteron 144 CABNE 0545BPMW running at 2.5GHz on stock voltage. Prime stable(12 hours). I'm rather pleased that my Crucial value RAM can run stable at 228MHz :)

I'm really happy with this. If I push the CPU overclock I'll have to lower the divider on my RAM and run it at a slower speed; don't think it's worth it.

dagwoood.

InQ

InQ

Associate
dagwood,
You'd probably be better running it on a lower divider but on tighter timings (1T as opposed 2T), do some before and after tests as i think the A64 likes tighter timings than a higher memory clock.
I cant seem to get my Corsair XMS3200C2PT stable at even 216MHz (it is 2yrs old early rev stuff however) though i havent tried it on 2T yet so it might do it. Prefer to run it on tighter timings in any case.

Associate
sepulchre said:
Hi guys!

I've just started playing around with OC'ing my opty. Getting 2.9ghz at stock 1.36 volts on a 3:4 divider. Seems superPi stable, but not tried Prime yet.

Refuses to post at any higher than this, but I'm happy so far :)

sepulchre, up the chipset and ldt voltage very slightly, and mess about with the max async timing, if your chip is a later batch 504XX cabye 0540 fpaw it will manage prime stable 3ghz stock vcore no problem.

Associate
InQ said:
dagwood,
You'd probably be better running it on a lower divider but on tighter timings (1T as opposed 2T), do some before and after tests as i think the A64 likes tighter timings than a higher memory clock. .

InQ, my system won't boot if I set the timings to 1T, even with a lower divider(I think it's probably due to running with a high HTT value:confused: ).

sam.wheale said:
dawood, can I ask what temp monitor your using ;)

It's SensorsView. I have tried other monitoring s/w but SensorsView is the only one that doesn't cause me any problems.

Soldato
dagwoood said:
Here's where I am at now. Opteron 144 CABNE 0545BPMW running at 2.5GHz on stock voltage. Prime stable(12 hours). I'm rather pleased that my Crucial value RAM can run stable at 228MHz :)

Mine does that too, it's fantastic stuff especially considering how cheap it is:).

Associate
144 CAB2E / 7800GT's Overclocked a Treat

Built my new PC at the weekend which contains the following:

AMD Opteron UP 144 San Diego 1.8GHz 1MB Cache (Socket 939)
DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT (Socket 939) PCI-Express
Western Digital Raptor 74GB WD740GD 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache
G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) CAS3 Dual Channel Kit
NEC ND4551 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
Thermaltake Armour Case (Black)
Thermaltake PurePower TWV 500W ATX2.0 Modular PSU
2 x XFX GeForce 7800GT Extreme LED Edition 256MB GDDR3 VIVO :cool:
Thermaltake Watercooling Kit

I currently have my oppy running at:

2792.3Mhz (9 x 310Mhz) - (3 x HTT) - (166Mhz divider)
CPU: 1.55V (idles at 30deg - 38 on full load)
LDT: 1.37V
DRAM: 2.83V
NB: 1.64 (idles at 50deg - seems a little warm)

memory has been left on auto

CAS#: 3.0
RAS to CAS#: 3
RAS precharge: 3
Cycle Time: 6
Bank Cycle: 7

Geforce 7800GT's are both running at 490Mhz (up from 450Mhz)

I get 12312 in 3DMark05 which is kinda nice.

If any one has any comments or suggestions regarding this build so far, I'm open to suggestions. TIA!

Associate
Hesky82 said:
sepulchre, up the chipset and ldt voltage very slightly, and mess about with the max async timing, if your chip is a later batch 504XX cabye 0540 fpaw it will manage prime stable 3ghz stock vcore no problem.

Thanks Hesky, I'll try that. I'm not sure what batch it is, I only took note of the 'cabye 0540 fpaw' bit :D I'll look next time I have the cooler off. I need to do this to replace the thermal paste with some AC5.

I think it will hit 3Ghz, but without touching anything else it just reboots straight away after post.

tbh I'm running it now at FX57 speeds, which after going from an XP2800 is blowing me away so I'm happy

Associate
what divider are you on sepulchre?

brocksta, if you havent already I would up the ldt voltage to 1.3 and chipset to 1.6 and make sure the ldt multi is set to 3x. we're playing with pretty high htt so extra voltage can only help with mb stability, that’s if the board even needs it though. try it and see if it helps matter.
your ram certainly wouldn’t be a factor if its pc3200 as its underclocked atm.

Associate
Hesky I'm on a 3:4 divider, running at 2800Mhz. I'm at work at the moment but I will look at doing some tweaking tonight :)

Hesky, if you have time could you list the settings you are using, as we have similar setups this would be a great help.

Last edited:
Associate
brocksta said:
ok hesky ill give it a try. One thing ive just remembered. My Sli-D requires extra power from a molex connector and floppy connector. I havnt plugged in the floppy one yet. Maybe this will help towards stability?

must admit I've had both the molex and fd plugged in from day one. think the floppy one increases vga stability but its still wont hurt to plug it in.

Associate
Myself said:
I'm rather pleased that my Crucial value RAM can run stable at 228MHz :)

I tempted fate by saying that :(

I started to notice that some of my settings within XP weren't being saved or changing but nothing major. I then ran 3dmark01 and it got half way through and my system crashed.

Don't you just love it? You run Memtest, then Prime for 12 hours, see if Aquamark or 3dmark05 will run and it all goes without a hitch. Then you run something that wont really push your system and it crashes!

I've lowered my HTT so as I'm running at 2.4GHz and the memory is running at 218MHz on slightly looser timings. I've run Memtest for longer(overnight)without any errors so it's a waiting game now to see if it's stable at these speeds.

Associate
CAB2E Success

After a while of contunual testing i have finally hit 3ghz with a CAB2E 0546 UPMW Stepping :D
Thought i'd never get there, 295 x 10 @ 1.55 was the best i could do for a while, the chip wouldn't boot up at any higher even with 1.6+ volts. The memory running on a 9/8 divider. 1 x 1Gb stick of Balistixs running at 268 didnt seem pushing them to far but Blend tests in Prime95 always failed after an hour or two :confused: I had read that this is probably memory that causes tham to fail so after trying a 5/6 divider and this solved the problem.

Since lowering the divider i pushed the HTT up to 300 and tested with Super PI 32 and OCCT, all passed...... Still have to prime tonight but i'm pretty confident it will pass.

Super Pi32

OCCT

One question, Does running 1 stick of Balistixs 1Gb have a lower OC potential than two sticks ?

Cheers

Nogs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom