• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3700+ or Opty 146

Associate
Just looking at both of these chips for a new build which is the better chip and why? I'm looking at running stock for a while but I'm also interested in the best overclocker aswell

Associate
The Opteron could be the best clocker of the two but mileage varies. Are you an experienced overclocker? If you fork out for the Opty and then find that the rest of your hardware isn't up to the job of overclocking it you'll be disappointed.

The 3700+ San Diego is a good clocker too but faster at stock. Have you considered going Dual-core?

Post details about your current hardware, what you use your pc for and what budget you have.

Permabanned
I have a 3700 (stock speed 2.2GHz) with standard fan and heatsink, with pretty normal 2 fan case, and have it running at 2.75GHz at 51*C under load.

Good overclocking CPU in my opinion.

Soldato
I have a 3700 thats running on stock volts and cooling at 2.8GHz. Ive never seen it go above 46 degrees.

Although, I would have bought a 146 when I was looking for a new processor but Overclockers never had any in stock so I just went with the 3700 as a second choice. I reckon I could get close to 3GHz with mine once I get a decent CPU cooler.

At the end of the day there both good CPUs and you cant really go wrong with either.

Back
Top Bottom