6680 unlocking?

Soldato
I'm looking on ebay for a 6680 for my Mum, but need one that will work on T-Mobile. There's a fair few that reckon they're unlocked. I didnt think this was possible with these? Has something changed in the last few months?

On sites selling these it says this:

This phone is SIM free and does not have any network restrictions; therefore you can use any UK SIM, from any network, without the need for unlocking (excludes 3G sim cards).

What happens if you put a 3G sim in then?

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
TWhen they say 3g sims i would imagaine they mean the network Three rather than 3g sims as it would be pointless getting a 3g phone and not using the 3g.

If you were to put a sim from Three in the phone they would probably block the sim as they dont like you using non three provided phones, if on a contract they may write a letter to you.

A unlocked 6680 would how ever be ok on all the other networks with the correct sim, functioning in eithe 2g,2.5 or 3g mode

Soldato
OP
Gavin said:
TWhen they say 3g sims i would imagaine they mean the network Three rather than 3g sims as it would be pointless getting a 3g phone and not using the 3g.

If you were to put a sim from Three in the phone they would probably block the sim as they dont like you using non three provided phones, if on a contract they may write a letter to you.

A unlocked 6680 would how ever be ok on all the other networks with the correct sim, functioning in eithe 2g,2.5 or 3g mode

Makes sense, but the 3g bit is off here:http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/8101.htm
and you'd expect them to get it right.

So the 6680s can deffo be unlocked now?

Soldato
If linking to that addy you mean they are providing a sim free phone with a network....I would imagaine thats different as once you choose the sime they would set the phone up for you and register the sim with Three.......Three used to be very strict on this, maybe im completely wrong now?

One of the reasons they didnt like people using phones not provided by them was the fact people were getting phones then locking them to 2g and 2.5 networks, mainly o2 who are there backup network....So in the end they were going after people who were doing this and would have had less control if they allowed all phones to be used. Indeed i even done this with a phone provided by Three, Jez from these forums also did. I unfortunatly received a phone call from Three saying i was in breach of contract and they threatened to terminate my service, how ever i would have still had to pay for the contract.

How it works if you bought a Sim free phone and a Three PAYG sim i dont know....Im just giving you the imformation i am aware of.

Soldato
OP
Nah what I meant was the quote from the first post was from there. 'Works sim free but not with 3g', Iwas saying I'd be surprised if when they said 3g they actually meant 'Three'.

Either way I've managed to get her a 6630 off ebay for £100 new, and lockd to T-Mobile, which is what she's on anyway.

Cheers again

Back
Top Bottom