My first overclock, suggestions?

Soldato
After a lot of reading about how to overclock I gave it a go.

So far I have these settings and SuperPi 1M results. Im quite pleased with it but I wouldn't mind having a bit more power! :D

http://premium1.uploadit.org/Cocker//Currentsettings.JPG

Any suggestions on what I could do to improve this overclock further? I wouldn't mind getting to 2.9GHz but Im on stock cooling at the moment and don't really want my temps above 50 degrees C.

I'll be ordering a new CPU cooler at the end of this month and I dont know what to get out of a Freezer 64 Pro, XP-120 with Akasa Amber, or the Big Typhoon.

Specs in sig!

Cheers.

Associate
Can I ask why you changed to a low cpu multi and high fsb rather than the settings in your sig which would be less stress for your m/board? Just an observation!

Forgot to add Big Typhoon would seem to be king at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The reason I changed from 245x11 to 300x9 is because I read that even though the two settings are roughly the same at around 2.7GHz the one with the higher HTT would perform better.

Im very new to overclocking CPUs so I dont know 100% what Im doing.

This thread is about suggestions on what I could do to improve it. Would you reccomend that I go back to my original settings of 245x11?

How would I go about getting a better overclock?

Thanks for the reply.

Associate
With the A64 cpu's having the memory controller onboard a high fsb is only of use if your ram can work at the same speed. You really need to go back to basics and find 1, the highest stable speed you can run your cpu whilst keeping cpu temp below your stated 50c. To do this use a 133 divider and your 11x cpu multi and slowly raise the fsb. If you know 245x11 is stable start from there and increase fsb by 5 mhz then test for say 10 mins using prime95 small fft's. Do this until prime stops itself due to errors. If cpu temps are still below 50c at this point you could raise cpu voltage by 0.025volts and repeat the raise fsb/test procedure again until you get to your cpu temp limit.

Once you have found your cpu fsb limit you need to find the limit of your ram. Set fsb back to 200, cpu multi to 11 and a 1:1 memory divider (meaning your ram will work at the same speed as your fsb) then increase fsb again in 5mhz steps testing this time with prime95 large ffts or memtest to stress your ram. Eventually you will induce errors at this point try increasing your ram voltage by 0.1volt and try again. You can increase up to the manufacturer's max recommended voltage.Once you find the highest speed in mhz that they can run error free rop back 5 mhz and call that your max memory speed with stock timings. Once you know your max cpu and ram speeds you just set your fsb to say 30mhz below the max setting for your cpu then use whichever memory divider keeps your ram below their max speed and slowly raise fsb again by 5 mhz steps until you again reach instability. At this point lower your fsb by 5mhz and you should have achieved your aim. This obviously is just a general guide but may help. I am sure many others have written better. Just remember to watch those temps as you go.

What did I just say! Dirk has done another guide here:http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17521360 Doh!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hey thanks man.

I'll revert back to my old settings and go from there then.

One thing though. Surely you mean raise the CPU voltage by 0.025V and not 0.25V?

Ta.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that IzaLearnin.

I did what you suggested and I have managed to get the CPU to 2809MHz by using 255x11.

I could get the CPU past 2.8GHz if I raised the Vcore but this lead to the temperature reaching 50 degrees. I will get some more out of it once I have a new HSF.

The memory didn't clock well at all! I couldn't even get it prime stable at 205MHz, I was using the standard 2-3-3-6 timings though... I will have another go at clocking the memory using slacker timings at some point and see if my SuperPi time and 3dMark 01 scores change with a higher clock but slacker timings.

My SuperPi is at 30 seconds now which is pretty good. I'll leave Prime95 running on blend tomorrow for 9 hours while I am at work.

Cheers.

Associate
What vcore are you using at the moment? If it's still around the 1.4v mark you will be good to go on to 2.9Ghz+ when you have better cooling. Looking good so far.

I'm suprised the RAM only reached 205 on stock timings but i'm sure you'll find it maxing out much higher than that with some tweaking. :D I would set vdimm to 2.8 and CAS to 3 just to see if this helps set the RAM free. ;) This alone could raise that ceiling to 230+.

Theoretical:

If you can get your CPU to 2.9Ghz- 290x10, 5/6 divider=241Mhz RAM (Providing the RAM is playing)

3/4 divider if RAM won't play=207Mhz RAM

or

263x11, 5/6 divider=206Mhz RAM

I hope your RAM wants to play ball :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input, Dirk.

The Vcore is indeed running at stock volts(1.4V) at the moment so all is looking good to get more out of it, I've just got to wait until I get better cooling.

I'll try what you suggested with the RAM after I get home from work, that its of course if Prime95 reports no errors after 9 hours :).

Ta!

Associate
Hunders said:
Hey thanks man.

I'll revert back to my old settings and go from there then.

One thing though. Surely you mean raise the CPU voltage by 0.025V and not 0.25V?

Ta.

Yes! See how easy it is to slip up. I think thats why people are reluctant sometimes to give settings, timings etc. Glad you were awake! Original post now corrected.

Sorry I didn't get back last night I was trying to get through another level of Cod2 on the hardest setting. With my gaming skills I could be some time!

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry I didn't get back last night I was trying to get through another level of Cod2 on the hardest setting. With my gaming skills I could be some time!

Slightly off topic i know but if you make it through 'The Silo' without getting mortared could you tell me how? :( Only level i can't do on Veteran.

'NEED BACKUP'!! :D

Soldato
OP
I just got back home from work and after running Prime on blend for 8 hours I had no errors so I think I can consider it stable enough for me. Now I just need to wait until pay day so I can get my new HSF and take it even further.

I've been playing CoD2 lately too... although I'm only half way through the British campaign at the moment.

Associate
I can see us needing 2 spin off threads here. A COD2 one and a HSF one ;)

As far as HSFs go the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro is getting great reviews, both here and on Hardware sites. Available at between £15 and £20 which is a great price considering the performance.

COD2 rules btw :D

New MOH game from EA later this year :D :D

Associate
Dirk said:
Slightly off topic i know but if you make it through 'The Silo' without getting mortared could you tell me how? :( Only level i can't do on Veteran.

'NEED BACKUP'!! :D
Just about to start this tonight! Sounds daunting. I presume it will be a case of sniping each mortar setup in turn and being both accurate enough and quick enough to stop them getting you!

Took me two hours just to get from the top of the cliffs to the farm buildings on "Point Du Hoc" Lol! I certainly get value for money from games.

Back
Top Bottom