• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

what difference does the amount of ram make on 6600 and 6600GT's?

Associate
Whats it the significance of haveing more on board ram on a graphics card?

Im going for a low end card and was looking at this card at first:

XFX GeForce PCX6600 Extreme XXX Edition 256MB DDR2 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (PVT43-PUDS7) (GX-058-XF)

Then i realised it only had DVI outputs and i have a 21" TRINITRON CRT monitor and its the best monitor iv ever seen picture wise so i dont wanna change it. So rather than use a converter i looked for card that had a VGA OUTPUT. So now im considering this card:

Leadtek WinFast PCX6600GT-TDH GeForce PCX6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-045-LT)

But i noticed this only had 128mb of onboard ram but its clock speeds are far higher. I also noticed you get a 512mb version of the xfx card and iv got to wandering what advantages does all the extra ram have? Surly it cant make it as fast as a 6600gt ?

Either which card would give the highest performace on games like doom 3 and why?

Soldato
Agreed with Phil99.

Seems that the main reason manufacturers add extra RAM is as a selling point, I know someone who thought his 256Mb FX5200 card was a good card by todays standards cos it was 256Mb - people with less knowledge will just get a card with more RAM, regardless of other factors (and shop salespeople arent usually knowledgeable enough to explain any better)

512Mb RAM on a mid-range card is having a laugh tho!

Personally i've just gone from a perfectly adequate 128Mb 6600GT to a 256Mb x800xl - fairly pleased, will see how it goes for a while.

Any justification for not wanting to use a signal converter? I've never seen any noticeable degradation of quality through them.

Back
Top Bottom