2 x 512MB OCZ PC3500EB
6800GT (default clocks)
Maxtor MaxLine III 250GB SATA HD
Terratec DMX 6 Fire LT PCI Soundcard
Floppy disk drive
Pioneer 110 DVD RW

into a Shuttle SB65G2.

Currently loving the fact I have more room at me desk now.:D

Haven't modded the case but I have replaced the default Sunon 80mm Fan (far too loud. Even at lowest speed. Hate the whine) with a Nexus 80mm Fan (17.6dBA, 1500RPM, 20CFM) and going to replace those noisy 40mm fans in the PSU with something more quieter.

Really want to check my temps with some of you fellow Shuttle owners to see if everything is ok.

I ran OCCT for half and hour and temps were as follows:

Case: 44-52oC
CPU: 37-60oC

My HD temp is normally around 44-48oC.

This pretty much normal? I obviously expected temps to increase but not sure if these are on the high side for a Shuttle.

cmt

cmt

Suspended
Pretty similar to mine (p4 3gh Northwood at 3.4 / AIW 9800Pro, SB75G2)

I found that a 80mm pulling air in at the side (5v modded of course) dropped the temps by 4 or 5 degrees. Also dropped my drives (300gb SATA MAxtor and 250gb Seagate) to around the 40deg mark. Worth it if you can fit it in (Dont know if your case has the mesh sides?)

cmt

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

@ Guru

You have a hot running hard drive in that Maxtor.. if you're looking for extreme ways to decrease temps then a WD or Samsung might be worth looking at.

FYI: Those temps are fine.. anything 60C+ in the case is worrying though

Soldato
OP
EVH said:
@ Guru

You have a hot running hard drive in that Maxtor.. if you're looking for extreme ways to decrease temps then a WD or Samsung might be worth looking at.

FYI: Those temps are fine.. anything 60C+ in the case is worrying though

The HD temps are still within the Maxtor guidlines but I do agree its still a bit on the high side.

I back up on a regular basis so it it does fail on me I'll just buy an alternative drive. Got a 5 year warranty on this Maxtor but don't think it'll last that long with temps like that!

Right now I'm running 2 instances of Prime and my CPU is at a toasty 67oC!! :eek: Can't even touch the rear of the case as its so hot to the touch!

if I had the Sunon fan installed it would have ramped up the RPM of the fan from 1700RPM as soon as the CPU hit 60oC and bring those temps down a bit.

Unfortunately, my Nexus fan spins at a maximum of 1700RPM and can't go any higher. :p

I'm just Priming it to see what worst case scenario temps will look like. I don't really game on it since I got my XBOX 360 (hence move to Shuttle) and I won't be doing anything on it that will stress the CPU as much as its being tortured now.

I ordered 2 x 40mm fans (around 20dBA) that I'm going to install inside the PSU to replace those existing annoying ones. Will be doing that tomorrow and hopefully hear the noise drop a considerable amount.

Soldato
OP
cmt said:
Pretty similar to mine (p4 3gh Northwood at 3.4 / AIW 9800Pro, SB75G2)

I found that a 80mm pulling air in at the side (5v modded of course) dropped the temps by 4 or 5 degrees. Also dropped my drives (300gb SATA MAxtor and 250gb Seagate) to around the 40deg mark. Worth it if you can fit it in (Dont know if your case has the mesh sides?)

cmt

Don't really want to cut into that sexy back ally ;)

My case hasn't got the Mesh sides but itdoes have holes punched along the bottom of both side panels.

What I might try and do is remove that rear blowhole cover thats over the ICE heatsink. All those holes are surely restricting airflow and causing a fair bit of noise. Lots of people have commented on the improvment it makes to temp (around 5oC drop) and also noise.

Will also try and reduce that deadspot casued by the fan by mounting it on the otherside so its really close to the DVD Drive.

Soldato
OP
Steeps said:
what PSU do you have? the 250w psu has quite quiet fans.

Oh no it doesn't!

I purchased the 250W Silent X PSU at the same time as the Shuttle as I heard the supplied 220W was a bit noisy.

Well, the Silent X PSU is the main source of noise in my Shuttle!

Theres no noise from the Northbridge as that passively cooled and the Nexus 80mm fan on the ICE heatsink is pretty silent.

The 6800GT reference cooler is god awful loud with the default fan speed at 50%, but I've reduced that down to 25%. Made a big difference but I can still hear it.

Opened up my Shuttle case and stuck my finger in the graphics card cooler. Still heard a loud noise! Was coming from the PSU!

Tested the PSU by sticking my finger in the rear 40mm fan and stopping it for a second. The noise dropped by half. Couldn't believe it.

Ordered 2 x 40mm fans (20dBA, 5CFM, low noise chipset so no whine) that should cut the noise considerably.

Associate
Lol I wouldnt recommend sticking your fingers in the components when its switched on as you will either electricute yourself or even worse fry some of your machine.

Soldato
i'm a bit of a noise freak myself with shuttles, running passive graphics, passive northridge, 120mm fan @ 5v and 80mm fan @ 5v on the psu and its still too noisy. i can hear my samsungs spinning :(

Associate
I've tried 4 or 5 of them. Practically impossible to get them totally silent (as this is what I'm after)....

Until I found the SD11G5. External PSU, Pentium M, Samsung HD and a 7800GT of which the fan is slowed down with Rivatuner. Except for some vibrations, it's totally silent. And still very powerful.

Soldato
OP
Swapped the 2 x 40mm fans in the Silent X 250w PSU with some that I ordered the other day. Its made a noticable difference to the noise levels.

Now my only problem is the reference Nvidia 6800GT cooler. Even with the fan speed slowed down to the lowest it can go with Rivatuner (25%), I can still hear it humming away.

Not sure what to do with it really as I'm extremely limited with alternative coolers. Heard the ATI coolers on the X800 Pro/XL are quieter so I might look into switching graphics cards as a last resort if the prrice is right.

Would love a SD11G5 but £300 is a bit pricey for a Shuttle.

I've been wanting to downsize my PC since purchasing my XBox 360 as I never game on it anymore (apart from odd CS:S session). Aim was to transfer my existing S478/Canterwood/AGP system into something smaller. This SB65G2 came up for £100 so I thought why not. Didn't want to change my system for something more powerful as I won't be gaming on it.

This Shuttle will never be quiter than my previous setup but I will try and reduce the noise as much as possible.

Just the graphics card to sort out now then I'm done and won't touch this PC for a long time.

cmt

cmt

Suspended
GuruJockStrap said:
Swapped the 2 x 40mm fans in the Silent X 250w PSU with some that I ordered the other day. Its made a noticable difference to the noise levels.

Now my only problem is the reference Nvidia 6800GT cooler. Even with the fan speed slowed down to the lowest it can go with Rivatuner (25%), I can still hear it humming away.

Not sure what to do with it really as I'm extremely limited with alternative coolers. Heard the ATI coolers on the X800 Pro/XL are quieter so I might look into switching graphics cards as a last resort if the prrice is right.

Would love a SD11G5 but £300 is a bit pricey for a Shuttle.

I've been wanting to downsize my PC since purchasing my XBox 360 as I never game on it anymore (apart from odd CS:S session). Aim was to transfer my existing S478/Canterwood/AGP system into something smaller. This SB65G2 came up for £100 so I thought why not. Didn't want to change my system for something more powerful as I won't be gaming on it.

This Shuttle will never be quiter than my previous setup but I will try and reduce the noise as much as possible.

Just the graphics card to sort out now then I'm done and won't touch this PC for a long time.

As you dont game on it (like me - went to the 360 so i can play on the 'big screen!') have you thought of something like a nvidia 6200 - as these are passively cooled and should play CS:S reasonably well)

Thats what i'm looking at - i was loking for a shuttle with built in gfx (i know they are crud, but c'mon how much power do you need to run mame and AOL :) ), but the SB75 came up at the right price.

cmt

Associate
About the price of the SD11G5: ok, it's a little steep, but with the other shuttles you have to buy new fans and other stuff to get your system quiet. In the end, it's not that much more expensive for those wanting a silent system.

Soldato
OP
Not really.

I paid £100 for my Shuttle, £47 for the PSU and £14 for the 2 x 40mm fans. I already had the 80mm Nexus fan. I'm thinking of changing the graphics card for something quieter and when I do, it'll be for less money that what I can get for my 6800GT when I sell it.

Plus there would be the fact I'd have to sell my CPU and RAM and get very little back for them and spend a lot more on a a new CPU and RAM.

Soldato
OP
cmt said:
As you dont game on it (like me - went to the 360 so i can play on the 'big screen!') have you thought of something like a nvidia 6200 - as these are passively cooled and should play CS:S reasonably well)

Thats what i'm looking at - i was loking for a shuttle with built in gfx (i know they are crud, but c'mon how much power do you need to run mame and AOL :) ), but the SB75 came up at the right price.

cmt

My problem is I couldn't play CS:S anything less that I'm playing it now.

I've been spoilt by 1680x1050 gaming and high detail with this 6800GT :p

Seen an ATI X800GTO 128MB for around £110 that I might get but I'm not sure. Currently got watching a few X800 Pro and XL's on auction, so I'll see what kind of prices they go for first.

Soldato
OP
Hehe..

Its not the sound of the fan during gaming that bothers me, as you said, the volume gets ramped up anyway.

My problem is in Windows where I'll be spending the vast majority of time using my PC.

In that environment, even with the fan speed reduced to 25%, its still too loud! The fan motor makes a horrible noise.

If Rivatuner would allow you to slow the fan down even more, it might be ok. With the fan speed currently at 25%, the GPU temp is 61oC. I don't care if that temp reaches 70oC in Windows if the fan speed could be reduced lower. I've set Rivatuner to ramp up the fan speed to 40% if the temps reached 80oC+ anyway.

Associate
GuruJockStrap said:
Hehe..

Its not the sound of the fan during gaming that bothers me, as you said, the volume gets ramped up anyway.

My problem is in Windows where I'll be spending the vast majority of time using my PC.

In that environment, even with the fan speed reduced to 25%, its still too loud! The fan motor makes a horrible noise.

If Rivatuner would allow you to slow the fan down even more, it might be ok. With the fan speed currently at 25%, the GPU temp is 61oC. I don't care if that temp reaches 70oC in Windows if the fan speed could be reduced lower. I've set Rivatuner to ramp up the fan speed to 40% if the temps reached 80oC+ anyway.

In Rivatuner > Power User tab there is an option for the minimum fan speed you can set. If you set this option to 0, you can get it as low as..euh....0%. I wouldn't advise this though ;)

Anyway, this way you can get it even lower.

Back
Top Bottom