Nod32 vs Avast

Soldato
I use NOD32, I used to use Avast but it didn't seem to pick up some of the stuff that NOD32 did after running a scan straight after I swapped, Avast also seems to hog more resources.

Caporegime
However NOD32 can be a bit over-keen on what it picks up as viruses, so you might get the odd false positive.

Soldato
I've used both, the free version of Avast and paid NOD32. I much prefer NOD32. I can set it to be silent, so much so that I'm not sure if it gets the AV updates; I never see a dialog box or anything to show that is is. Avast on the otherhand has a dialog box when it updates. You may prefer that but I don't.

Another thing I don't like about Avast is that when I get sent a file over MSN by a mate Avast loads up the scan tool and some help box, neither of which I need/want. NOD32 never does anything like that.

I use Avast on my laptop at home and use NOD32 on my desktop at Uni.

Man of Honour
I switched to Avast after NOD32 missed a virus. Works both ways it seems. :)

Both are excellent so it doesn't really matter which one you choose.

Soldato
You should get a balloon in your taskbar when NOD32 updates. So unless you happen to be looking at your taskbar for the 5 seconds the balloon is there you could very well miss it.

Of course, if you are ever unsure, just do a manual update :)

SiriusB

Soldato
SiriusB said:
You should get a balloon in your taskbar when NOD32 updates. So unless you happen to be looking at your taskbar for the 5 seconds the balloon is there you could very well miss it.

Of course, if you are ever unsure, just do a manual update :)

SiriusB
I do sometimes run a manual update, just to check, and it never has to update when I prompt it to! I just love NOD32. Easiest prog I have ever used.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
MarcLister said:
I've used both, the free version of Avast and paid NOD32. I much prefer NOD32. I can set it to be silent, so much so that I'm not sure if it gets the AV updates; I never see a dialog box or anything to show that is is. Avast on the otherhand has a dialog box when it updates. You may prefer that but I don't.

Another thing I don't like about Avast is that when I get sent a file over MSN by a mate Avast loads up the scan tool and some help box, neither of which I need/want. NOD32 never does anything like that.

I use Avast on my laptop at home and use NOD32 on my desktop at Uni.

you do realise both those "annoyances" can be disabled? *** first can be done via setting a default custom option in the programs options and the second by disabling the "messenger" resident shield.

Soldato
No I didn't. Thanks mrk. I've just switched to AVG and it seems better for me. Wouldn't have thought disabling Avast's Messenger shield would be a good idea. Don't quite a few online threats affect MSN? I.e. files that your mate seems to be sending you but isn't and it is actually some trojan or something?

Back
Top Bottom