Which Speakers Altec MX5021's or Logitech Z-2300 with Xi-Fi

Associate
Hi folks,

I was originally going to get a set of Logitech X-5500 speakers, but being realistic, the subwoofer is too physically big for my bedroom. I would have had to put it beside the PC case, which is a big no no. Also the 5.1 woukld have been too much for the room I'm in so I decided to upgrade the soundcard & get a decent set of 2.1 speakers for single player gaming.

I'll be using my Sennheiser PC150 Headphones for Counterstrike online ;o)

Instead I decided to get an XI-FI, possible Xtrememusic or Fatal1ty for playing games on & maybe watching the odd DVD if I was ever in bed sick.

I was wondering what you guys would recommend I go for:

Altec Lansing MX5021 2.1 Speaker System Black

or

Logitech Z-2300 THX® Certified 2.1 200 Watts Speakers - Retail

Both are THX Certified.

cheers,

Ken

Soldato
the sub for the 5021's is huge!! but sounds good in games and they look great imo - very very unstable standing though, but only an issue of you bang the desk a lot.

Associate
I'm surprised no-one has chimed in with the standard recommendation of the AE Aego M yet - amazing set with excellent sound quality and takes very little space on the desk (the satellites are quite small)

PS. Don't take too much notice of the THX certification - more of a marketing gimmick than anything meaningful.

Associate
OP
jhmaeng, is there a way to connect the Aego's up to an XBox, PS2 or Gamecube via their standard red and yellow phono cables ?

I'm looking at running all my games stuff through my Dell 2405fpw cos i don't want to damage the new plasma arriving soon :)

Cheers,

Ken

Associate
jhmaeng said:
I'm surprised no-one has chimed in with the standard recommendation of the AE Aego M yet - amazing set with excellent sound quality and takes very little space on the desk (the satellites are quite small)

PS. Don't take too much notice of the THX certification - more of a marketing gimmick than anything meaningful.

It's the Aego M's all the way! Superb speakers, well worth the money. :)

Associate
Raelthorne said:
jhmaeng, is there a way to connect the Aego's up to an XBox, PS2 or Gamecube via their standard red and yellow phono cables ?

I'm looking at running all my games stuff through my Dell 2405fpw cos i don't want to damage the new plasma arriving soon :)

Cheers,

Ken
There are two sets of inputs on the Aego. One of them uses a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, and the other uses 2x RCA Phono jacks. You can either use a straight Phono-Phono cable to connect the red and white cable to the Aego, or use a Phono -> 3.5mm cable to connect to the Aego through the 3.5mm port.

Associate
OP
jhmaeng,

Any chance you can let me know where you got your aego's?

for some reason I don't have private messaging feature so we'll have to work someway around this

Ken

Associate
Raelthorne: Actually, I don't have the Aegos although I have listened to them a few times (they do sound rather good). My suggestion comes from the countless (I really do mean countless) recommendations of just about everyone who uses them, plus numerous magazine reviews that praise those sets. I'm not aware of any other sub-£100 2.1 speakers set that gets such universally high praises.

Personally, I use the Videologic Siroccos that I bought when they were available for very cheap (best PC speakers for under £100 ever!) but they are now sadly discontinued - I would be suggesting those if they were still in production.

Anyway, you can use most price search websites to look for e-tailers that do the Aegos. Superfi (http://www.superfi.co.uk) for one, and more if you search at Froogle, Price Runner and uk.shopping.com etc.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately looking at the Aegos on the net they'd cost over €200 with shipping.

Its a bit much of a price jump considering it would cost only €240 for the Xi-Fi music card and a set of Logitech Z-2300's including delivery

:(

Associate
Where are you searching for the Aegos?

Carphone Warehouse, for example, have the Aego M-system for £99 - any branch subject to stock availability. Another place where it's £99

Maybe you're searching for the wrong system? They do other products like a 5.1 system under the Aego name as well, so you have to be careful which model you choose.

Just had a thought - do you live outside the UK by any chance? then that might make things more difficult...

Associate
OP
I live in Ireland so the Aego M is approximately:

Aego M £99stg = €150euro
Shipping £30stg = €45euro

€195 approximately and with the banks and the crap exchange rates they give over here it'll be over €200 by the time i get them :(

Associate
Raelthorne, I live in Ireland as well and I got the Aegos a while ago. I got them from Forum Hi-Fi , and delivery was only £12. It took a while (about a week and a half) but they arrived eventually. Send them an email and they'll reply with a link for shipping to Ireland

Associate
Yeah, they sound absolutely brilliant. I've never heard any speakers as clear and punchy, and the bass is really powerful too. They're definitely worth getting. At least that's how they sounded when I got them first, they've been acting a bit strange lately. The subwoofer seems to have suddenly decided to go all quiet on me so I'm barely getting any bass at the moment. It's really weird since a few days ago I was getting floor-shaking bass just a few days ago with the exact same settings. It's probably just some weird problem with my system though, so I'd go for that combo if I were you.

Back
Top Bottom