DDR2 do i want tight timings, or faster Mhz ?

Soldato
hey guys,
i posted the other week about DDR2 memory, and dunky helped me out really well !!
ive got my new mobo, but still no memoy
i want to go for OCZ value Pro range, but ive just read a thread in this forum, and well its explained timings in the easiest way possible !!

so, i wen to the OCZ site, and looked
the 667Mhz PC25400 runs at 5-5-5-15
the 533Mhz PC24200 runs at 4-4-4-12

im going for one stick of 1Gb RAM ( as i will be adding another in the near future)
which one should i get ? fater rtimings, slower speed, or slower timings faster speed. i dont fully understand this, and ive read the other post as much as i can, but it seems to be different on AMD based machines, and well, im still left a little confused

thanks in advance
Rick

Soldato
the 667 will be faster, although ive found that ddr2 overclocks like a mad man anyway, my old pc3200 i had would run at insane speeds at 3/3/3/8 even though it was rated the same, 4/4/4/12.

Whats the cost difference between the two?

Soldato
If you're going value, the get the higher speed.

My OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 easily does 650Mhz 3-2-2-8, but it was quite expensive (not that I minded paying *checks for matt100*)

Go for the higher speed and see how tight you can get the timings. It shouldn't be too bad if you do get OCZ.

Soldato
OP
im a total OC n00b lol... and a skint student :p... is OC'in memory safe ?... asin how likely is it that i will burn it out or soemthing, and have to buy new stuff.
i can deffo only afford value stuff.
£70 MAX ( hence why im only gettin single channel for now )

i cant find geil memory in single modules !!! only dual channel kits, and i just cannot afford it at the moment.

im not sure of the pricve difference between the 533 anfd the 667 ( OCZ V pro ), even if theres say a £10 difference i dowt mind cos i just want the fastest stuff.

so to conclude:
at stock the 667 is better than the 533 ( although looser timings ) yea?
OC'd and its insane ?

p.s... is OCing memorty easy ?..., or its it hard to get right ?

thanks so far guys !!! im so glad ive kicked my " buy it NOW" habbit lol

P.P.S the board is an asus P5ND2- SLI

Back
Top Bottom