Case opinions please

Associate
Hi all :)

Hopefully I'll soon be buying a new pc, I've got a good idea bout the parts, but I'm not sure on the case... most available now I just don't like, I so wish I'd had the money when the old Coolermaster Praetorians were available :(

I was wanting something that was aluminium, had a side window, usb and audio/mic ports at the front and no door covering the drives, but I haven't been able to find anything like this.

So, I've been looking at the Thermaltake VA3000SWA Tsunami Dream SuperMidi Aluminium Tower - Silver which comes closest to what I'd like, except for the door :(

Does anyone have this case? Is it any good? And where exactly are the usb, audio/mic ports, at the top of the case? Or is there a case out there I'm missing that would be better?

Thanks.

Associate
What sort of budget have you got?

There are still some 201 style praetorians about, however i don't think the have the front mic/audio ports (could be wrong) there are also a few second hand 201's flying about as well.

New mid price cases available today i would recommend the Lian Li PC7 Plus/SE be sure to check you are getting the one with 120mm rear exhaust.

Associate
I think Yewen has a 201B-BXT (Blackwidow) he will be Auctioning shortly, I don't think he's getting rid of the 201-SX2

I've a 201-SX1 i could be pursuaded to let go ;)

Soldato
Yeh contact me if you want, I have several cases coming up for sale.

Just dont whatever you do buy a Thermaltake.

The current Lian Li range in my opinion is unmatched, they are truely superb cases. As are the ATCS ones.

Soldato
Its not whats wrong with them, they are ok cases.

The build quality on them is inferior, they have no innovation as all there designs are nicked from other manufacturers.

Lian Li have very well built cases which are light, the thermaltake are the cases which are aimed at first time builders / 15 year olds in my personal opinion. Better than generic but not up to a par with the Lian Li's, Silverstones and ATCS's of this world.

The thermaltakes are all about cooling, ANY case can cool, ANY computer, no matter what anyone says, and having your cpu at 40 instead of 38 is no big deal, as they are rated to something like 80. Noise is a factor, and that can be fixed on any case with new fans.

Just depends if you want coke can construction with cheap plastic, or brushed aluminium everywhere and no plastic in sight, with construction that makes it built to last. Plus with the Lian Li's, Silverstones and ATCS's they have 0 sharp edges, you have to look for somewhere to cut yourself - which for me is a godsend after using lower end cases.

Associate
Thanks for the info Yewen.
Have now changed my mind and have opted for Silverstonetek TJ04 Case in Black. TBH it looks better anyway, just saw the Va3000 used in a lot of pre-built systems so thought it was a good choice, thank god for forums :)

Soldato
Well youve made a better choice in my opinion, as the quality cannot be mistaken.

But the Thermaltakes are good cases, just for Build Quality they are not the top, or that near it.

Associate
Hexidecimal said:
Thanks for the help guys.

Yewen I sent you an email.

How much would a Black Widow cost? I'm guessing a lot as they seem to be in high demand.

there is one on a certain auction site at the moment currently standing at £72 with 3 days to go - i'm sure Yewen would do a fellow ocuker a nice deal ;)

Soldato
Don't start dealing on my behalf Harib0 ;)

They are in high demand at the moment, but there is reason for it, because the newer cases just cant match them!

Just gotta be careful guys we cant do deals outside of MM. So please no more talk on my cases.

Just a general question on the 201's to you Harib0, you ever been able to get a frontal Mic/Headphone socket module for one?

Associate
as far as i'm aware the 201's only ever came with USB, the praetorians came with USB, Firewire and audio in/out.

I have been trying to get the praetorian i/o ports for ages, but no luck from Cooler Master yet

Back
Top Bottom