• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

arctic silencer fan rotating the wrong way...

Soldato
Hi all, just noticed something with my lovely graphics card... the fan on the arctic silencer seems to be drawing air in from the wrong direction...

which way is it meant to go? i was always under the impression that it is meant to draw air into the fan and then push it along the fins and out through the back of the case...

mine is doing it the other way, ive tried reversing the power lead, but then the fan didnt spin up at all.

am i being stupid, or is it meant to be going the other way?

Cheers

S,INC

Soldato
There excellent coolers, mines on 5v barely audible from my experience. Got my card overclocked to 580/580 from 520/560 and it stays at 32*C idle and 50*C under load with 12v its more like 40*C max

Soldato
lay-z-boy said:
very good coolers, however they are not quiet like the arctic cooler.

at 5v they are still audable. :)

No way, i have to disagree. I've plugged that fan an into a 5V source without a PC to mask the noise and I couldn't hear it unless my ear was about an inch away! You must have a duff one or something.

Soldato
From the AC website
Which direction should the fan rotate?
The fan of all ATI or NV Silencer coolers should rotate clockwise.
Since a diagonal fan is used, the air is drawn in in a twister. This gives you the feeling of blowing air. Nevertheless the cooler is drawing air out of the case, even it is not a big amount.
fan_rotation.gif

Soldato
OP
^ well that explains some of the mystery... it is actually going the right way ;)

but it doesnt explain the mystery of my 6800GT being at 60 degrees idle, at stock speeds... when only last week it was much better.. ive tried reseating the cooler to no avail, and its not got dust in it :confused:

Soldato
p4radox said:
No way, i have to disagree. I've plugged that fan an into a 5V source without a PC to mask the noise and I couldn't hear it unless my ear was about an inch away! You must have a duff one or something.

My ear is about 1m away, i dont use a case. :p

Soldato
hmm it must have bad contact somewhere,... is the gpu concaved or convexed?
have you left the shim on?

i left my shim (crushed last gfx card with a cpu cooler :( ) on but yours might be sticking up abit to much

Back
Top Bottom