Can (lot’s of) Torrents Kill Your Connection?

Soldato
Hey guys,

I was just wondering whether multiple torrent downloading can temporarily knock out your connection? If it’s too much for the router to handle etc?

The reason I ask is, because earlier on tonight after only 30hrs of uptime on my new router (DG834G), my connection just went down? This was about 15 minutes after I set 6 large downloads going :confused:

Or could it have been a just coincidence :(

I was re-connected within about 30 seconds?

I stopped downloading immediately and since then things have been fine :)

I was using BitComet 0.60?

Cheers,

SW.

Man of Honour
My router gets damn hot. In summer it'd cut out (Just as I was going out to leave a hefty DL on :mad: ) Coul be that. Try unstacking it if it's stacked or putting it in a cooler room etc etc.

Soldato
OP
It's an upright router, so it should stay pretty cool?

I'm going to resume a couple of the downlaods and see what happens over night? I've also put I room fan right next to the router :D

Cheers,

SW.

Soldato
six torrents will take you into the hundreds of connections so it's quite possible that the router is running out of memory.

You'll probably be seeing the torrents go much slower if you do six at a time even if your router could handle it. My suggestion would be to queue them up and have only one or two going at the same time.

Caporegime
Some routers run out of memory with loads of connections, and start crashing. Nothing particularly unusual about it.

Caporegime
sam.wheale said:
So, nothing to worry about then :confused:

Your router crashing might be a bit of an issue. :p
Short of finding a better router, the workaround is just to turn down the number of connections your torrent client makes.

Soldato
hmmm, wonder if I could solder on some more memory, hheehehe

what routers (not uber business jobbies tho) have good quantitys of memory?

or is there a good modem I can slap in an old PC running linux for routing? are PCI adsl modems any better than USB (EW)

Soldato
I think you will find also bitcomet is a banned client in many places due to DHT.....But as mentioned 6 torrents will use many many connections and will cause the router to crash.

If you need another reliable torrent client try uTorrent

Back
Top Bottom