HDMI DVD player Recomendations

Soldato
My 5 year old (techtronics Multimod) Panasonic RV-60 DVD player has just decided to stop playing NTSC DVD's (it only seems to be outputting Red and Green... no Blue!!)... Though works fine with PAL DVD's...

So I'm in the market for a new DVD player!... I've looked at a few but two seem to have bubbled to the top and I know I can get them both Multiregion!...

1) Denon DVD1920 HDMI DVD player: HDMI & YUV Outputs, 720p/1080i Upscaling, DD/DTS Decoders, DVD-+R/RW playback, DVIX Playback etc... All for £250 (ish) Spec!

2) Sony DVP-NS92V HDMI DVD Player: HDMI & YUV Outputs, 720p/1080i Upscaling, DD/DTS Decoders, DVD-+R/RW playback, DVIX Playback etc... All for £180 (ish) Spec!

To me they seem nearly Identical!... But the Stock for the DVD1920 is very iratic!...

Has anyone got any experience of either of these!?!... Does anyone have any other Suggestions for Players?... Upto approx £250/300... Must have HDMI 720p/1080i upscaling to get the most out of my Sagem 32" HD-LCD Plus DD/DTS Decoders Built-in!!!

cheers...
Simon :)

Associate
How about a pioneer 585 i've heard good things about it, although it doesn't have HDMI, costs about £99

HDMI wont offer you much in the way of increased performance over component simply because the software wasn't designed for the increased potential of HD displays, better to save the extra for a blueray/hd player due later this year.

Associate
Your looking at the exact 2 players I am

From what I've read over on AVforums the Denon suffers from terrible Lip Sync problems (but this seems erratic & not on all players judging from forum input)

The Sony is quoted as being "The daddy" by one member & should be the HDMi player that all others are judged by on his opinion.
The OP on that thread actaully gave a very good review & comaprison with a Top of the range Pioneer HDMi player on 2 different Projectors & actually thought the Sony was the better player

I'm still not sure which way to go personally the Lip Sync issue is still a huge concern & the fact that the Sony is so much cheaper Multi-region that I may well end up swinging towards that player in the end.

Will be nice to hear what you decide upon though & your experience with whichever you do buy.

Neil

Associate
I've got a Denon-1920 and it is excellent. No lip-sync or any other problems for that matter. PQ is excellent, it is very quiet in operation, it will play almost any disc you throw at it, and it looks very good - build quality is also excellent.

The whole package seems to be a few steps up from mainstream sony, toshiba players etc IMO

Soldato
I've got a Denon 1920 and I paid £180 for it. It wasn't multi-region, but a quick firmware update I downloaded from the internet soon sorted that out. :)

I haven't had any lip-syncing issues, not even with some of the discs that have been mentioned on AVForums. Upscaling works a treat and the player is well built.

I've tried it with both component and HDMI. The picture quality is definitely better over HDMI, especially since upscaling only works over HDMI on the Denon 1920.

It's nice to see that it plays DVD-A and SACD too. I don't know if they will ever be a winner in that format war, but being able to play both means that I can't really go wrong.

Having said all this, I've never tried the Sony and it might be just as good for all I know. After one too many bad experiences with their customer service, I don't even give their AV equipment thought.

Soldato
what about the sammy hd950?
does the sony come with a hdmi cable, if not how much is one?

Last edited:
Associate
Well sounds like the lip sync issues may have been exaggerated then??

Thanks for letting us know though guys, may well go for the Denon after all then if I can find a mutli region one for reasonable money (Would do the firmware fix but last time I tried one on my parents Toshiba it just kept coming up with an error, wasted 4 CD-r's trying to get it to work :()

Tunney...were did you get your one from for £180 (If its not a competitor of course ;) ) if you dont mind me asking?

What displays are you using yours with as well just out of curiosity??

Sorry for the hijack of the thread as well Simian :D

Neil

Soldato
Tunney...were did you get your one from for £180 (If its not a competitor of course ) if you dont mind me asking?

What displays are you using yours with as well just out of curiosity??

I can't tell you where since it's a competitor. They sell LCD TVs like OCuk do (as well as washing machines and all that kind of stuff :p).

I'm using mine with the Samsung LE26R41BDX 26" HD LCD TV, Denon AVR-1906 AV receiver and Mordaunt-Short Genie AV speakers. I didn't set out to buy a matching DVD player and receiver, but they both seemed to be best kit in their respective price brackets.

Associate
Tunney said:
I can't tell you where since it's a competitor. They sell LCD TVs like OCuk do (as well as washing machines and all that kind of stuff :p).

I'm using mine with the Samsung LE26R41BDX 26" HD LCD TV, Denon AVR-1906 AV receiver and Mordaunt-Short Genie AV speakers. I didn't set out to buy a matching DVD player and receiver, but they both seemed to be best kit in their respective price brackets.

No worries, just being lazy really save me looking myself :p

Off to google it now though insted :)

Mine is going to be coupled to either a Hitachi 42PD7200 Plasma or a Sagem Axium HD45HG4T DLP Rear Projector when I finally make my mind up as to which I prefer :confused:

Thanks anyway for the input.

Neil

EDIT: Just found it & am ordering as I type :D
Will let you all know how it fares when I get it home & I just hope I can get the Firmware to work on this one lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
soundwave said:
EDIT: Just found it & am ordering as I type :D
Will let you all know how it fares when I get it home & I just hope I can get the Firmware to work on this one lol

Let us know how it goes!!...

Where d'ya get the Firmware update from?... How easy is it to do?....

E-mail me (in sig) if ya can't say!...

Sim :)

Can't find it any cheaper than £220 :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Eliot said:
what about the sammy hd950?
does the sony come with a hdmi cable, if not how much is one?

Doesn't hafe a DTS decoder!... only DD... I did look at this but that put me off!... I'm a DTS fanboy! :D

I'm gonna wait a cuplo' years for HD/Blueray so thi'll have to last me till then!..

Any others????...

Associate
I've got the Phillips DVP5900 HDMI DVD player (£100 from currys comet or dixons) and fully reccomend it.

Upscales DVD to 720p and 10801i via HDMI, good PQ & easily made region free with remote control hack. All in all a good all rounder :)

Connections:
1 x HDMI - Rear,
1 x Audio line-out (RCA phono x 2)
1 x Digital audio output (coaxial) (RCA phono)
1 x Component video output (RCA phono x 3)
1 x Composite video output (RCA phono)

Soldato
OP
The_Vindicator said:
I've got the Phillips DVP5900 HDMI DVD player (£100 from currys comet or dixons) and fully reccomend it.

Upscales DVD to 720p and 10801i via HDMI, good PQ & easily made region free with remote control hack. All in all a good all rounder :)

Connections:
1 x HDMI - Rear,
1 x Audio line-out (RCA phono x 2)
1 x Digital audio output (coaxial) (RCA phono)
1 x Component video output (RCA phono x 3)
1 x Composite video output (RCA phono)

Interesting player!... But Doesn't have DD or DTS Decoders... But thats no biggie as I'm contemplating an HDMI Amp later this year!...

Anyone had any experience of the Toshiba E350?... looks similar to the Philips and easy to make Multiregion!...

Still interested in the Sony though!... (even though its as eratic as the Denon on stock figures!... No ones got one!!!)

Associate
From what I've heard the Toshiba is a fine player but not so good apparently thorugh HDMi connection

According to What Hi-Fi it's a better player using the Component connection.
The HDMi picture quality isnt quite as good.

So possibly something to consider when looking at it?

Neil

Soldato
OP
Think I'll probly hang fire till the Sony (or a bit more saving - the Denon) are back in stock!... They Do Exactly what I want and I can then wait a bit longer till HDMI Amps are a bit Cheaper/more abundant!...

Cheers Doods!..

Simp :)

Associate
YooEntSinMeROYT said:
Out of interest.......what was the top of the range Pioneer HDMI DVD player they tested it against?

The Player was a Pioneer 868

I have a link to the AVforums thread if you'd like to have a read of his comparisson?

Neil

Back
Top Bottom