• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opteron prices to rise :(

Soldato
Well, the good news is that the X2s are coming down (for those that aren't interested in major clocking).

Still, I guess it's to be expected. Supply and demand.

Soldato
That will be price increase to distributors I'll bet, you'll have a little cushion before the hike hits us consumers while the retailers get rid of their current stock.

..that is of course, if they have any.

Soldato
OCUK have upped their 144 prices by £35 in the last two weeks, so looks like a sign of bad times to come; glad i have one already :) !

Soldato
* UPDATE AMD declined to comment on future pricing plans. However, one of AMD's customers has been in touch after our original story and said the prices of the Opterons is rising because they want to stop enthusiasts buying them, and buy the consumer level chips instead.

lol.

Soldato
chopchop said:
funny how other sites are selling them for less than £100....

Yes i know, i got my CABNE 144 for <£100 last week.To be honest tho stocks are getting lower and lower, so they can up the prices if they want. Its upto to the consumer to pay the price!

Associate
in a slightly related note

NOTICE: DFI DOES NOT SUPPORT THE USE OF OPTERON PROCESSORS WITH THEIR MOTHERBOARDS. IF YOU CHOOSE TO USE AN OPTERON, KNOW THAT YOU ARE EMPLOYING HARDWARE THAT HAS NOT BEEN SPECIFIED FOR YOUR BOARD. THUS, YOU SHOULD NEITHER EXPECT NOR REQUEST SUPPORT FROM ANGRY, RGONE, OR ANY EMPLOYEE OF DFI. THIS NON-SUPPORT STATUS HAS BEEN MANDATED BY AMD, AND IS UNLIKELY TO CHANGE IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE.

Word has been floating around the net that AMD has begun to take steps to restrict the availability of Opterons to owners of non-workstation boards, i.e. the overclocking community at large. These rumors have recently been confirmed by the manager of AMD's Opteron Division. At the present time, it is AMD's intention to no longer supply Opterons through regular retail channels once the current supply is exhausted (though this is subject to change in the future). Thus, in the near future it will likely be the case that the only Opterons available to enthusiasts will be the handful that leak through the Gray Market. I therefore recommend that if you are considering purchasing an Opteron, you do so without delay – you may not have the opportunity to do so in the future! Thanks to Ben at TankGuys for this information.

they really are going all out

Associate
AMD do NOT want enthusiasts buying server quality chips built with the best silicon. They want us to buy the standard cpus which have better margins, as they have far more lower quality wafers than the best high spec wafers used for the Opterons. Simple fact is AMD haven't got enough qulaity wafers to satisfy the demand for Opterons from the enthusiast market and the Server market,

So if you want top quality silicon you are definately going to be paying a PREMIUM price or make do with standard quality A64 and X2s.

Pays your money and takes your choice.

Rob H

Associate
I suspect the market for good clocking Opteron 146,148 will be very buoyant. I expect to new 146s leveling out at about £160inc vat. But if the price of x2 3800s drop below £200 as predicted then I can increased sales of dual core cpus.
If you have a good clocking Opteron that will hit 3ghz then I would hold onto it, because its value is going to rise.

Rob H

Back
Top Bottom