this car sound any good?

Soldato
Hi all, first time posting in here :p

Just yesterday passed my 3rd driving test so now am a fully fledged licence holder, but I am missing one thing.. a car.

So my dad and myself were looking around for cars, my dad being car savvy and myself being a car noob, and today he organised for me to test drive a citoen C2. So off to the garage I go and the bloke there lets me look at the car, tells me about it, and we go for a test drive (he stalled it coming out of the car park so I guess it doesn't have anti stall protection :p), I drove it back to the forecourt.

He was telling me that tomorrow the car was being taken to another citroen garage and that I needed to decide whether or not I wanted it by tomorrow morning, problem is my dad can't look at it before then coz he's at work.

car specs :

Citroen C2
1.1 litre engine (he mentioned injection)
9k miles on the clock
silver paintwork
3 door
excellent condition, no visible scrapes or rust or anything
03 registration plate (H reg)
6 months tax free
12 months RAC cover
Insurance group 1
£5600 knocked down from £5995
etc etc

sorry don't know that much about these fine vehicles, hoping you lot will be able to shed some light/educate me a bit ;)

I feel it's also important to mention that this is my first car and my budget is like £6000, I have the cash so will be able to just purchase the car outright.

Man of Honour
No, it's rubbish - you can get a far better car for £5995 or you can get a car just as good as a C2 for half the cash if you buy something a tad older.

Note to everyone else: shut up about Mondeos.

Soldato
I agree, dont be in any rush to part with your cash. Take a good nose around all the local car market and see whats avaiable for the money. Then take a test drive in all of them. That way when you do buy, you'll know you've got the one you like most.

A lot of people buy similar cars to that C2 and then 6 months down the line will want to change it. To be honest, I wouldn't waste £6k on my first car. 3k would be plenty to get a car that you can make all you early mistakes in.

Permabanned
group 1 insurance lol, you do realise the difference between group 1 insurance and say Gp5 like my 1.8litre 306 will be about oooo say £100 give or take, and you can get a lot more horsepower for that £100 heck for that money you could get an all leather interior mondeo or similar with all the toys full electrics et al and then pay the extra for the insurance and take me out for a steak and a pint with change left over!

Soldato
OP
cheers for the advice guys, knew it was a good idea to post somewhere where people knew what they were talkin about, and what better place than here? :)

gonna visit the local volkswagen garage with my dad on the weekend probably, maybe look at some polos.

what other cars should I definetly consider, to be honest i'd probably rather spend about £3000 than £6000 as well, just pretty confused atm.

Soldato
Eulogy said:
cheers for the advice guys, knew it was a good idea to post somewhere where people knew what they were talkin about, and what better place than here? :)

gonna visit the local volkswagen garage with my dad on the weekend probably, maybe look at some polos.

what other cars should I definetly consider, to be honest i'd probably rather spend about £3000 than £6000 as well, just pretty confused atm.

Dont get a polo neither. :)

Look at ford focus, fiestas, 306's, Saxo VTR etc etc. :)

Man of Honour
Stop visiting main dealers - with a budget like yours all you can hope for is an overpriced car. You'll do far better for money buying elsewhere.

Permabanned
Main dealer = overpriced

The only benefit is a warranty which frankly aint worth it on most cars unless you really REALLY cant stomach the idea of doing any maintainence yourself or you are a woman

Soldato
Bug One said:
To be honest, I wouldn't waste £6k on my first car. 3k would be plenty to get a car that you can make all you early mistakes in.

I wish that was true for myself. I had a cheap 306 for my first car which I owned for 7 months and didn't put so much as a scratch on it. Then I upgraded to a Mk3 Mondeo which is now full of scratches and has a dent in the front wing, all done within the first 4 months of ownership :o :D

Back
Top Bottom