Improving ADSL link

Associate
Are there any tweaks out there to improve an ADSL connection? I currently have a Line attenuation of 63db and snr of 9 or 10. I know its down to the line length as BT first didn't accept the order saying it was too far away, but then they agreed to give it a try and it worked.

The connection does actually appear to stay up but the internet will stop working, then all of a sudden start again. It will not connect with the supplied BT router or modem but works with the Netgear DG834 that I'm currently using.

Any ideas?

Permabanned
Have you tried plugging the router directly into the BT phone socket (ie without an extension into another room)

Ive read that can help out in some cases. I cant think of anything else off the top of my head but someone else may know something.

Associate
OP
Hi, right there are 3 ISDN2e boxes that come into the office and a new analogue line was taken off these for the purpose of ADSL, so the router plug directly into the socket, no extension cables involved.

Just to add, I've upgraded the firmware to the latest, and also altered the MTU size to serveral different ones but that makes no difference either :(

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Ive always found thompson 510 v4's very very good when it comes to getting a solid sync over a crappy line. I am guessing they simply have sensitive adsl chipsets in them, or something :)

The connection will be either 256 or 512, toy soldier.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It sounds to me as though the line is dedicated, which is the usual setup, i havent seen any companies of late using standard analogue fax machines. All of them have either had computerised fax servers or a PBX fed machine.

Anyways, either way, try it without any filter at all, see if it helps.

Associate
OP
WOMBATWILSON said:
yep might bring the snr up more without a filter. try it tomorrow without a filter and email the no. and ill woosh it for you tomorrow night

I'll get them to take the filter off :)

Am I missing somthing? You work for BT? or you pulling my wotsit? :p :D

Associate
It is a advanced line test performed by your isp or a bt employee to find out information about your adsl connection,

ie snr attenuation, which gateway your connected to etc etc, is a test tool basicly, theres a lot more options on it for other things if you have full unrestricted acsess normaly if you work for say tiscali you can only woosh tiscali customers same for demon etc etc but unrestricted you can woosh any circuit :D

guessing by the other guys sig he probly works for client logic in bristol at a guess

Back
Top Bottom