• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best OC AMD cpu/mobo Help

Associate
Hi, i am looking at getting some new hardware and was wondering if someone could give me some advice.I currently have an XP2500M oc to 2.5ghz abit nf7sv2 mobo and 1Gb corsair pc3200llpt 9800 pro.My mobo has died and i need to upgrade. Ive read a few posts and the opteron is looking pretty solid.So the question is What mobo/cpu would you folks recommend, im on a budget but could push the boat out if necessary.is there a mobo that has agp and pci-e that allows overclocks.Many thanks in advance

Soldato
There is a mobo with both agp and pci-e but i dont think its renound for its overclocking prowess.

If your looking for hardcore overclocking go for a DFI board, or a cheaper Epox one.

If the Ram youve got is capable of low latencies id keep that.

Soldato
There is the Asrock 939dual motherboard that has both agp and pci-e , and both implementations work excellently. i just bought one last week and have overclocked my opteron 144 by 700Mhz to 2.5Ghz on stock volts, and the system flies. There is a thread on it in the motherboard forum. It is an excellent motherboard and can be had for £40. It is not classed as an overclockers board, the best ones are dfi boards and probably epox boards, but the Asrock does allow some decent-ish overclocking and is more than half the price of the other boards mentioned. And with AGP and pci-e for price and performance it cant be beaten IMO.

Associate
OP
thanks for all the advice.I'll do a search for some reviews
My ram timing is 6.2.3.2
What model number is the asrock/epox and is it a good overclocker also
whats the best stepping to go for on the opteron 144 and sorry for being cheeky but where can i get one from.
Do OcUK stock them
many thanks again for the speedy replies

Last edited:
Soldato
Have a look here

http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-SATA2.htm

Well i have overclocked my opteron 144 from 1.8Ghz to 2.5Ghz with the mobo on stock volts, which is really decent for a £40 mobo. Maybe a dfi or epox will take it further, but they are double the price or more, and dont have AGP and PCI-E. I got my opty last week for <100. OCUK do stock them but unfortunately they dont stock the Asrock mobo.

The stepping on my 144 was CABNE 0545; i think CABNE is one of the better ones but all steppings seem to be good clockers.

Associate
OP
Ok still need some help.Im going to go for opteron but cant decide which model.On some posts someone said why buy 148 when 144 oc the same.is this true??Also i noticed on a review of the asrock that theres no way of adjusting cpu voltages.I always thought that stable oc need extra power.Also is asrock the only manu that makes dual agp/pci-e boards

Soldato
Dogface said:
Ok still need some help.Im going to go for opteron but cant decide which model.On some posts someone said why buy 148 when 144 oc the same.is this true??Also i noticed on a review of the asrock that theres no way of adjusting cpu voltages.I always thought that stable oc need extra power.Also is asrock the only manu that makes dual agp/pci-e boards

You can increase cpu volts, i definately could on the latest bios, and on the ocw bios. As far as i am aware the implementation of AGP and PCI-E on the asrock is probably the best out there. You can even run a AGP and pci-e card together in the same board, and mix and match ati/nvidia cards, all combinations will work. I went for a 144 because it was in stock and only £98. A 146 is probably a slghtly better chip because it has a x10 multiplier but they are quite hard to find and their price is always increasing.

Back
Top Bottom