Haven't got a clue

Associate
I have A7N8X-X mobo with 512 pc3200 when i boot up it says its running at 200 single mode, my question is can i put another 512 of ram in or have i got a complete new set of dual i also don't know what this cas2.5 or cas 3 means i really need to put more ram in as thats where the bottle neck is on my pc.

Should be able to put another 512 in but it needs to be the same- although I have used mismatched memory before and it worked. Download cpu z and check your memory on it for timings etc.

CAS Latencies are usually written as CAS2 or CAS3, so just how important is this?

In the real world, unless your system is up on the cutting edge of technology and you're pushing performance to the limit as do some over-clockers, or gamers, it may have some relevance. On the other hand, in everyday systems the relevance is nominal at best. CAS3 means that at 100 Mhz., the amount of time required for the first memory access in a burst is increased by 10 nanoseconds or less. Divide this figure by 4 to average the increased time across four bursts, and you have an improvement of less than 2.5 nanoseconds over CAS2. We need to underscore the term relevance as it pertains to CAS Latency and changing memory modules on the average system. If you had a Pentium III 600 to 866MHz. computer, as an example, and you used this for surfing the Internet, using Microsoft Office or Corel Office, Adobe products etc., and changed your memory modules from those having CAS3 to CAS2 latencies, you wouldn't be able to notice any difference. But again, if you are pushing your system to the limits, this could become critical.

Associate
You don't need to know too much really.

Its important that your RAM is matched in timings and speed. Even then, sometimes they don't work together - this is why manufacturers supply pre-tested Dual Channel pairs.

To make sure, buy a matched pair. If you like taking chances, buy another stick from the same manufacturer that has ALL the same timings (not just CAS latency).

M

Back
Top Bottom