Dues Ex on Windows XP?

Permabanned
Hi.

I've been wanting to start playing this game again for a while now, only got half way through it originally.

Last night I tried multiple times to install on my A64 3200+ laptop running XP Home, used Win 98 compatibility on the set up file (also tried without) and once the game is installed the setup routine needs to decompress some files, it freezes every time I've tried to install and thus the game wont launch :(

I also tried to install on my desktop P4 3.4 machine using XP Pro, same thing as above, the setup freezes at the end while decompressing files.

Can Dues Ex be played on the XP OS? I'm bang up to date with XP updates and drivers on both machines. Really want to play this old classic badly now.

Hope someone can help.

Permabanned
Yeah, it can be played on XP with no problem. I installed it on my XP Home (SP2) machine and it worked just fine straight away. I didn't have to use the compatability wizard at all. Infact the only thing I did was to add the patch, that's all.

Permabanned
Glad to hear you finally got it installed. Now that you have, perhaps you'd like to keep track of this HDTP project for Deus Ex. It's going to add higher-res textures, 256x256 instead of the stock 32x32, and totally re-vamped higher poly models to the game. Looks to be some time away, but it's worth bookmarking to keep an eye on. :)

http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

Permabanned
Yeah, it does seem to be slow. Let's just hope that they're taking their time in order to quality check and get the best possible performance out of it.

Soldato
I think its a case of motivation. Thats fair enough though given their not being paid for it so its purely in their own interest to do it anyway.

If they do release anything I'll be first in line :D

Permabanned
OP
-Tauren- said:
Hmmm.... my deus ex cd has a massive crack down the middle of it... stupid question, but will it still work??

Doubt it? You should be able to pick up a copy cheap though if it fails?

Thanks again to everyone for helping me get Dues Ex installed, as you can see from my last post I was up until well after 3AM last night playing this classic.

Hope the add-on texture project goes ahead, though having said that I was surprised last night by how fresh the game still looks, especially as it must be around 7 years old now?

Was Dues Ex 2 really as bad as I've read? I'm enjoying this old classic again but already wondering what I'll play once I've finished it.

Man of Honour
DX is only 5.5 years old (less if you go from the date of the most recent patch).

DX2 is better than it is given credit for - not as good as the original, but still a very good game when judged on merit.

Back
Top Bottom