Linksys WAG354G + AOL = [Censored]

Associate
GOD DAMN IT!!! i keep telling people that AOL is the worst thing you can do to a computer, but do they listen?

my netgear wireles G BB router was great... it only took me 2 minuets to install it and i had to check my settings twice because i couldnt believe it was so easy...

but then i didnt have AOL and i didnt have a Linksys Wireles G WAG354G router either... i've spent all evening (pretty much) trying to get a m8s router set up, and could i do it!??!?!

no is the answer, quite simply whenever i ask to save the settings and it starts testing the connection it comes up with cannot connect to internet or something and asks me to switch the router off and on again (which obviously doesn't work). its a broadband AOL connection i'm trying to connect to but it wont have it.

the system is a Dell Dimmension 8300 (cant be asked getting the full spec)
Intel P4 3.00GHz (non HT and single core)
Running windows XP home
512Mb RAM

and the settings i've been useing are
MTU 1400 PPPoA

and i just cant get it working, please help!

Soldato
Another stupid AOLism, if you are using a router to connect password MUST be between 6-8 letters no longer or shorter, and as said above you must add @aol.com after the screenname as the username.

AOL... more like AOSmell :p

Associate
OP
you know, i didnt try capitalising the user name, but the pasword was 6 leters long.

has anyone else got a linksys WAG354G?

i'mSO glad i didnt get one myself.... i coudnt even conect to it via an IP adress x_x' you had to use the stupid setup program!

Associate
Solouko said:
you know, i didnt try capitalising the user name, but the pasword was 6 leters long.

has anyone else got a linksys WAG354G?

i'mSO glad i didnt get one myself.... i coudnt even conect to it via an IP adress x_x' you had to use the stupid setup program!

Http://192.168.1.1 Admin admin - the same for all linksys routers.

Did you set your PCs IP address to 192.168.1.2?? bet not :p soo many people do that. And you can't configure wirelessly either initially.

If you can't get it to sych then it's almost certainly an authentication issue.

Associate
OP
does AOL 9 install a firewall of any kind? because i dont use AOL i dont know what ways in which it prats about with your system

i'd had a go at guessing the router IP addy ^.^ but i typed in 192.168.0.1 which is what my router is set to :p

and how do you go about setting the IP address of the host computer? my netgear assigns the IP to any computers on its network automaticaly :confused:

Caporegime
Solouko said:
and how do you go about setting the IP address of the host computer? my netgear assigns the IP to any computers on its network automaticaly :confused:

Er, so should the Linksys...

Like Skilldibop said, the web interface should work fine. Can you ping the router?
What do you get from (start, run, cmd,) ipconfig /all (right click, select "mark", select output, hit enter, paste at will)?

Back
Top Bottom