• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD ATHLON 64X2 4400

Associate
Hi there not upgraded for a long time and im after a bit of advice please, i have about £350 to buy a new cpu and was considering the amd 64x2 4400, would this be my best value for my money, cant really overclock so its factory settings for me, thanks in advance for any replies.
Tim

Sel

Sel

Associate
I'm also thinking of an upgrade CPU or Graphics Card but I don't know which would be better.

My specs are
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester 90nm
Ati Radeon X850 PE
2gig Giel Ram
Enermax Noisetaker 485W or maybe 370W not sure.

Will a Duel core CUP fit in my Board and if so what would be the max it could take.

Associate
Sel said:
I'm also thinking of an upgrade CPU or Graphics Card but I don't know which would be better.

My specs are
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester 90nm
Ati Radeon X850 PE
2gig Giel Ram
Enermax Noisetaker 485W or maybe 370W not sure.

Will a Duel core CUP fit in my Board and if so what would be the max it could take.

Yes the processor will. And the board is new enough that it shouldnt need a BIOS update.

Depends what you do with your computer as to whether GFx or Processor.

If you game, then GFx. If you encode files then Processor.

M

Associate
nicebutdim said:
Hi there not upgraded for a long time and im after a bit of advice please, i have about £350 to buy a new cpu and was considering the amd 64x2 4400, would this be my best value for my money, cant really overclock so its factory settings for me, thanks in advance for any replies.
Tim

4400 is the best bang for buck in the range - the larger cache makes a big diff over 4200, which really isnt worth it over the 3800.

M

Associate
The dual core opteron 165 through 175 are also a good option, as they all come with the 1meg cache that the 4400+ has, for less.

Caporegime
Webzta said:
The dual core opteron 165 through 175 are also a good option, as they all come with the 1meg cache that the 4400+ has, for less.

the 165 runs at only 1.8 ghz so if he is not overclocking then I would steer clear of this cpu.

Great if you were overclocking though

Associate
The X2 4400 also has great potential for overclocking, but stock should see you fine with 2.2GHZ. Just double check that you don't need to flash your BIOS, its always best you do it beforehands.

Associate
yeah good chip mines does 2640 maxed out but do look at the opty range they will oc even more as they are better silicon 175 i think is 2.2ghz and it's about the same money so id go 4 one of them if i was u

Associate
Even if you're not overclocking, It' doesn't take an expert to raise the speed 400Mhz, especially as these chips will EASILY run at 2.2 (4400) stock speed, and outperform as the fsb will be higher. Hell you could even just raise multi, voltage maybe one notch.

Just something to think about, as it's a considerable difference in cash.

Sel

Sel

Associate
Could you clear up something for me if a game carn't make use of 2cores will it still run faster using 64x2 4400 than a 64 3500?

I run Racing Sims mostly which I think need more CPU than average games.

Associate
Sel said:
Could you clear up something for me if a game carn't make use of 2cores will it still run faster using 64x2 4400 than a 64 3500?

I run Racing Sims mostly which I think need more CPU than average games.

They have the same clock speed, so in this case there probably wouldnt be any difference.

If there were any other tasks running on the PC (background or otherwise) these could be taken care of by a Dual Core though, so the Dual Core may still win out slightly.

Some games already take advantage of dual core, and others will come out soon. Dual Core is better from a future-proofiing point of view.

M

Sel

Sel

Associate
Thanks for all the help it's been usefull.

I think I may go for the CPU as I don't feel the Graphics card is maxed out yet as others report higher FPS using the same card with slightly faster CPU.
I may hold on for a while and see what happens as I can live with the FPS for now.

I'd really like to see what difference the new Physics chip will have in New Sims
again I may just wait and see.

Soldato
noxidjkram@hotm said:
They have the same clock speed, so in this case there probably wouldnt be any difference.

If there were any other tasks running on the PC (background or otherwise) these could be taken care of by a Dual Core though, so the Dual Core may still win out slightly.

Some games already take advantage of dual core, and others will come out soon. Dual Core is better from a future-proofiing point of view.

M

I noticed no difference going 4400X2 from my 3500A64 either, id say apps open up more snappier and quicker but otherwise feels the same/similar.

As with anything I think dual core still needs to take off, I just hope Vista/Games make use of it and its not another 3dnow/MMX stunt ;) Which I doubt it will be!

For now id say 3500 + is a good buy, or a nice A64-4000, or wait for the new Socket M2 AMD processors....

Back
Top Bottom