Sexy New Cans/Amp

Soldato
Bought myself a birthday toy.

Philips SBC HP 1500 (http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=SBCHP1500/00&scy=GB&slg=en)

Large pic

The picture doesnt do it justice, its washed out and poor. It is much more sleek in the metal with a high quality brushed aluminium front panel. The yellow lit up indicators are infact orange. It looks and feels like a solid, quality unit.

This is the wired version of the HD1500 which suits my needs much more. 10 hours battery life doesnt cut it for me, nor does a heavier than it needs to be set of cans.

I have this unit attached up to my Shuttle via Coax Digital and of course it supports DTS, Dolby Digital and all that jazz. Has 3 'room' settings and 2 Pro Logic II settings of Music and Movie (or indeed off). I can bypass any decoding to give me regular stereo headphones with no dolby tricks being applied, which is nice too. It also has a DBE (Bass boosting) option.

The clarity is probably the best I have ever heard through headphones, and with my lack of experiance with high end speakers probably the best I have heard short of going to the cinema.

Even in strictly not Home Cinema stuff like games you can see the difference bewteen analogue stereo on a medicore set of cans compared to a fully digital set like these. Not only can I hear the fire now but I can hear the crackling in the wood too. Footsteps are no longer footsteps but clearly footsteps on graveled surfaces.

It is amazing just how much you miss.

I have watched 1 movie in Multichannel Dolby Digital (training day) and the sound was spot on. No hissing, breaking up or any flaws I could pickup.

Anyone else had experiance with these cans/amp as I would like to hear form other users who have tried them.

Last edited:
Soldato
They look awesome, but i dread to think how much they cost!

I personally would never by fancy headphones, except for the best for music. e.g. Grado RS-1/woddied HF-1's, SEnn 600's, AKG 701's. But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom