Windows Wont boot, will repair wipe anything??

Associate
I have an XP disc but its not SP2, so if i use the repair option will it wipe any installed programs or security update etc?? An the sp2 i've had to install etc. Also what is the repair console you can get to but it asks for a recovery floppy which xp wont let you make???

i'm confused!

Soldato
It will basically overwrite your whole WINDOWS folder meaning all security updates and SPs you have installed will be reverted back to what's on the CD.

Craig.

Associate
OS repair is a pain, it won't loose any data, but it'll remove anything you added into your windows, and once they're gone you'll find lots of programs won't work and will need re-installing.

Permabanned
To install the Recovery Console, perform the following steps:

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive.

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type

d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

where d is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive.

A Windows Setup Dialog Box appears, which describes the Recovery Console option.

The system prompts you to confirm installation. Click Yes to start the installation procedure.

Restart the computer. The next time you start your computer, you will see a "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" entry on the boot menu.

Note: Alternatively, you can use a UNC to install the Recovery Console from a network share point.

Running Recovery Console without installing it
If you cannot start your computer, you can run the Recovery Console from the Microsoft Windows XP/2000 startup disks or the Windows XP/2000 CD-ROM.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, use the following steps:

Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.

When you're prompted to press F6 for mass storage devices - press F10 instead. This will automatically start the Recovery Console.

Alternatively, when the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.

When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.

For a list of commands that are available in Recovery Console, type recovery console commands or help at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

For information about a specific command, type help commandname at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Back
Top Bottom