Forum Software!

Permabanned
Hi, I have no clue about hosting your own forums on your own server.

Are there software packages available?

Was thinking about something looking kinda like this place or Rovertech

Thanks

Permabanned
OP
Ideally id like to host it on my 2003 server box at home.

On TW 10Mb cable, but the upload is only 384K I belive.

Once things get going, would have to sort some real hosting out.

Soldato
If you want a paid solution then look at vBulletin (Running on these forums) and Invision Powerboard which I have been very impressed with on one of my sites so far. If you want an open source forum, then look at phpBB :)

Soldato
vBulletin is an order of magnitude better than its competitors. IPB is pretty good too, though, and stay as far away from phpBB as you possibly can.

Are you running IIS or Apache?

Soldato
CoupeMad said:
Whats bad about it ?
The codebase of the current version of PHPBB seems to have become overly complex, and bugs (especially security-related) are appearing rather frequently requiring upgrades. It's not been too bad of late, and not as bad as people make out, but still it's not confidence-inspiring enough for most people to wish top recommend starting a new board with it. They are working on a new [major] version at the moment. Other than that it's really just a case of people's preference for different boards, and what matches their needs :).

Associate
If you just want basic functionality then I would recommend punbb, it's a lot cleaner and more light weight than other forum software I have tried. This has the benefit of not only being easier to bug fix but also easier to mod, a lot of the functionality you might miss from other forums can be hacked it.

Back
Top Bottom