Music Playback Over A Network

Associate
Hi, (not sure if this should be in Networking or Software)

I've got 2 comps running Win XP and one of them has a HiFi attached to it. Is there any way of setting music playing on the computer not attached to the HiFi and playing it across the network through the computer attached to the HiFi. :confused:

I'm not sure if i explained that very well :p

Thanks

Soldato
You could use some sort of remote desktop connection to do it. Or you could setup maybe a private shoutcast server to broadcast what you want to play. All you would need to do with the PC that is connected to the HiFi is set it to play from the server address.

Associate
map a network drive from the PC with a hifi to the PC with the music. Put the music in it (or just share the existing folder and map to that) As far as the HIFI PC is concerned it's an internal disk and can play the music just like it were in it's my music folder.

Associate
Sone said:
you could use VLC to send it over?
Duplicating data is the very thing networks were invented to prevent. If your gonna copy it from one PC to the other, may as well use a CD or Flash drive. File sharing is the best way as the data is streamed off the source as required.

Soldato
Skilldibop said:
Duplicating data is the very thing networks were invented to prevent. If your gonna copy it from one PC to the other, may as well use a CD or Flash drive. File sharing is the best way as the data is streamed off the source as required.

It is my understanding that he wants to press play on PC(A) which is not connected to the HiFi, but the sound comes out of PC(B) which is connected to the HiFi. So a simple file share won't do what he wants...

Associate
shoutcast defo or you could use slim server, its the same kinda of thing but gives you a web interface for playing mp3s likes pretty nifty someone told me to get it for somethign slightly different but will do just what u want it to :D

Associate
melmo mp3 acts need to run on linux incase u dint see that bit

Linux, BSD, or OS X Operating System
A decent computer. 300mhz or more will do.
PHP 4 or 5 with PHP-CLI installed
MySQL 4+
iTunes, Winamp, XMMS, or similar (for streaming)
MPG123 command line player (for jukebox)
LAME mp3 encoder (for downsampling of streams)
Plenty of well tagged MP3s

Associate
OP
Hmm i didn't read the full list of requirements :( Oh well

Looks like it can't be done very easily with WMP.

Just wanted something i could click on to set it playing.

boohoo :(

Associate
OP
Jinzora Requirements
A Webserver that supports PHP (Apache and IIS are offically supported)
PHP 4.2 or higher (5.x is fully supported)

Say what?!?

Amp34 said:
The new version of MSN (the new 7.5 as well as 8) has a music mix thing that streams muic from one pc to another.

Does Windows Messenger Live have this feature too? I just got an invite

I was really looking for something within windows itself like you can share printers - that sort of stuff.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom