MSN Live messenger discussions thread

Caporegime
As the other thread is for people wanting and giving away invites there isn't really anywhere to discuss the new messenger without comments and questions being swamped. This is where this thread comes in.

Ok well after using it for a couple of days im starting to get used to the new colour scheme and layout which to begin with seemed a bit wierd, but then all new software does. The bits i like are the more vibrant colours and the fact you can actually change these colours as well as remove the surround like WMP10 leaving a nice simple layout, except for the tab buttons at the side which really stick out! The only problems i have with it are the fact the view screen with your contacts seems to be smaller than ever, i think because the surround is so bulky. The other slightly annoying thing is the fact you cant see peoples pictures next to their names unless you hover over them as well as the two colours of green instead of little images showing whether they are online, busy or away.

anywho, anybody else got any comments and or questions about the new messenger then post them here!

Associate
Reposted as it got lost in the other thread

MUSIC MIX in Messenger!

x1pc_jqddVOWRngXwwLx6hYTFsiTfaCXxUJ.jpg

How To Use It:

1) Open a conversation window
2) Hit “activities”
3) Select the second one down: Music Mix
4) When the play list opens, add tracks to it and jam away…together!

Details:

Remember – you’re sharing a play list. If you fastforward, skip, or stop a song, your buddy will hear the same thing you do.
Songs are not actually transferred to your buddy, only a compressed version is temporarily cached on their computer while you mix.
Playlist file formats are wma, mp3, & wav
Music Mix holds up to 25 songs at a time, each a max of 20MB in size. You must delete songs to add more
Album art info is shown at the top of the activity window only in the US, but obscure songs can sometimes show the wrong album art.
the Search button only shows up for songs added by your buddy, clicking it will take you to an MSN Music search for your song
Requirements:

Currently only available in the US, France, Germany, Japan, and the UK.
Requires WMP 10, which is available for Windows XP and up.
Now available on Windows Live Beta, but VERY SOON MSN Messenger users will see it show up in their activity menu as well, so keep checking it

taken from Inside Windows Live Messenger blog

Soldato
How do i change the colour of my contacts from green? Its a minging colour!!! Ive changed the surround colour, but cant work out how I change the rest.

Thanks

Caporegime
Amp34 said:
The bits i like are the more vibrant colours and the fact you can actually change these colours as well as remove the surround like WMP10 leaving a nice simple layout, except for the tab buttons at the side which really stick out! The only problems i have with it are the fact the view screen with your contacts seems to be smaller than ever, i think because the surround is so bulky. The other slightly annoying thing is the fact you cant see peoples pictures next to their names unless you hover over them as well as the two colours of green instead of little images showing whether they are online, busy or away.

anywho, anybody else got any comments and or questions about the new messenger then post them here!

You pretty much sums up my feelings on the program, the mini thumbnails on the contact list is the major problem for me. I miss it too much to a point I put th old MSN 7.5 back on. Not to mention MSN plus don't work with MSN 8 yet.

Soldato
Why cant i send handwriting?

I always get

Your ink message could not be delivered to all recipients.

Any ideas? This is the same whether im sending to any version of mesenger including live.

Associate
Handwriting works even more often than it did on 7.5, for me, infact. Sounds like maybe something got corrupted. One problem that people havent pointed out yet is how some animated emoticons seem to get messed up on 8 for goodness knows what reason.

Soldato
i must admit i like it but the contat lists seems abit bulky but apart from that and a few image changes it doesnt seem anymore improved.....and for some strange reason my webcam sometimes works with it and sometimes dosnt.... however all in all its a good programme

Associate
serlex said:
i sometimes recognize people by e-mail address, in 7.5 i could hover a name and e-mail would show, now it doesnt :(
There's a row of icons under each persons name (in the expanded view) if you hover over the one on the left that looks like an msn guy you can see their email addy in a tool tip, alternatively right click > send other and the email is shown at the top there.

Associate
serlex said:
i sometimes recognize people by e-mail address, in 7.5 i could hover a name and e-mail would show, now it doesnt :(

Yeah, i have the same problem! I hate people who change their msn names all the time, i could only recognise them by their emails, now i cant!

Don
can't believe noones mentioned folder sharing, thats an AWESOME feature

and you can type messages to people who are offline and it'll post it to them when they come on :)

Back
Top Bottom