Gig experiments

Soldato
I need to experiment more. I'm not going to get very far by taking perfectly lined up shots with a nice bokeh. So to that end I went out the past few nights to experiment. Different angles, different flash tests and so on. This is what I got.

CRW_5488-01.jpg

CRW_5505-01.jpg

I like this concept that they are projecting a sound, their music sorta thing.

CRW_5591-01.jpg

I remembered that you shouldn't set the shutter speed to less than your focal length. For most gigs I use about 1/50 since I want to capture nice sharp people. But this time I decided to try my 10-20 lens @ 10mm and use 1/10th. Sure you get motion blur, but you can also allow more light into the shot, which is handy.

CRW_4714-01.jpg

CRW_5149-01.jpg

An attempt at a funky angle. I never normally do this style, but I need to try it out.

Permabanned
Some good shots pete, i have a few comments:

The first shot, concept is great, but execution for me is poor - i think the zoom style is great but only when the subject is sharp in the frame, this one isnt so doenst quite do it.

Projecting the sound - interesting idea buit it does nothing for me.

The different angles work really well, i like them

The last few shots are great, the last one inparticular really works well. (cept for his slightly freeky eyes!)

Soldato
OP
Slime101 said:
Some good shots pete, i have a few comments:

The first shot, concept is great, but execution for me is poor - i think the zoom style is great but only when the subject is sharp in the frame, this one isnt so doenst quite do it.

Yer I know what you mean, but its oh so hard to pull off. Still doesn't stop me trying :)

Projecting the sound - interesting idea buit it does nothing for me.

Oh well :)

The different angles work really well, i like them

Cool. I wasn't really sure, but I've got a bit of positive feedback from them so I shall continue to try out that style.

The last few shots are great, the last one inparticular really works well. (cept for his slightly freeky eyes!)

His eyes look worse on other shots :)

Associate
The first 3 don't really work for me. The first 2 actually give me motion sickness! (i'm kinda strange that way!!) Shot 4 for me is probably my favourite, may also look good in contrasty b&w with grain.

In the latter shots, did you photoshop the colour in or is the gig lighting?

Are you using digital or film?

Associate
I actually think the first one does work well in this situation. It looks kinda 70's and the effect lends itself well to the subject matter in this case.

I also like what you're doing with the second shot. IMHO the 'secondary' image (the larger 'projected' image) should be less obvious and more 'ethereal' looking (perhaps a shorter exposure?). I think it should look 'almost as if they are projecting themselves' rather than 'actually projecting themselves'. Not sure if I'm making myself clear here?

The wide-angle shot is cool, really like it, and the last 4 shots are (imho) the best of the lot, really cool, gives a good feeling of what I would be like to be there, one of the best uses of selective colouring I've seen.

Good stuff.

Last edited:
Associate
I know we all strive to get the shot right 'in the field' but the first one could be recreated in PS and would have the benefit of keeping the guy in the middle sharp. Any thoughts?

Associate
i realy like the pictures cykey, 4 and 7 are my favourites out of them all you seem to have captured the moment very well. I Like the way that you have used different colours also, gives a good effect to the picture.

Soldato
I quite like first one
an old g'f did that sort of thing at a chilli's concert and worked really well
a bit sharper and yes
the last batch are my favourites
a good mix of style and effect, something I think that works
at least the lighting on the stage was good, helps a lot!

olv

olv

Soldato
is that cousin It in the 2nd till last one? :p

not keen on the first 3 but quite like the rest, especially 4th and 7th

Back
Top Bottom