New System - Gonna OC

Associate
New System - Gonna OC (opty 144)

Ok, after finally confirming my spec list, it's time for me to find out how to overclock it. I've read up quite a bit on OCing in the past weeks, learning as much as I can - though I am definitely still new to it all and slightly unsure of how I'll get on.

So, with the below spec:

Motherboard
DFI Infinity

CPU
AMD Opteron UP 144 San Diego

Memory
G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) CAS3 Dual Channel Kit

What kind of results should I be looking for and approximately at what settings? Of course I am going to be progressively working my way up, and testing after each tweak to make sure its stable, but I was wondering of a ball park figure I could work with.

Also, what software am I going to need?

CPU-Z
3d Mark 01
3d Mark 03
3d Mark 05
Super-pi

?

And one last thing, with the below card being overclocked out of the box, how much more do you think I could get out of it?

XFX GeForce 6800 GS Extreme XXX Edition 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express)

Thanks very much for any comments, and when I get paid and system arrives I will be sure to post my progress and results.

Last edited:
Soldato
personally i would say go for 3dmark 06 as it's just come out and is very system intensive, i hear that it actually breaks down into seperate cpu + gfx tests super-pi to test ram and prime 95! as for the clocks on the gs i would probably say you would push it to around 500-525 at the core and 1150-1200 on the memory! good luck and let me know how you get on with that ram as i'm looking to decide between that and the mushkin, although i'm kind of biding my time and waiting for AM2 and getting a new cpu, mobo + ram and going all balls out :D note 2 7800gtx's are on the way aswell :D

Associate
OP
harris1986 said:
personally i would say go for 3dmark 06 as it's just come out and is very system intensive, i hear that it actually breaks down into seperate cpu + gfx tests super-pi to test ram and prime 95! as for the clocks on the gs i would probably say you would push it to around 500-525 at the core and 1150-1200 on the memory! good luck and let me know how you get on with that ram as i'm looking to decide between that and the mushkin, although i'm kind of biding my time and waiting for AM2 and getting a new cpu, mobo + ram and going all balls out :D note 2 7800gtx's are on the way aswell :D

So scrap the other 3dmarks and just go for the new one aye?

I'd hoped to get about that much extra out of the card, so thats good. Though my main focus at first will definitely be the CPU and memory. Got a Zalman FS-C77 Fatal1ty CPU Cooler - Retail (HS-018-ZA) to cool the thing as in terms of air cooling it seems the mutts.

Associate
Remember to burn in before you start overclocking - a few hours on Prime95 should be enough. :)

Always have '01, it makes people feel good because of the uber high score. ;)

Which stepping is that Opty?

Associate
OP
Predator said:
Motherboard
DFI Infinity

CPU
AMD Opteron UP 144 San Diego

Memory
G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) CAS3 Dual Channel Kit

I just built a very similar system with EXCELLENT results!!

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=6296285#post6296285

Should hopefully test out 3DMark06 tonight and will post my results.

Replied in your topic ^_^

Can't wait to get started on this, just hoping I can get something really impressive out of it and get along with it all fine. Still hesitant with it being my first OC attempt :(

Associate
OP
Ok, slight hardware change. I've opted to go for the zx ram instead of the hz. I'm hoping to still get a nice big overclock but stick the memory on a divider (keeping speeds at about 200-210) with timings of 2-3-2-5.

Now, I'm pretty sure I've read up on this enough for the following theoretical OC's to be doable, but I need a bit of reassurance.

Hardware:

DFI Infinity

Opteron 144 (stepping with either be cacje or cab2e)

G Skill 2gig zx pc3200

Freezer 64 Pro
Starting with the biggest and going down to the smallest, are all of the following OC's possible with my hardware and cooling (as a guesstimate, I'll go through the testing as normal when it comes to doing it)?

Theoretical OC's:

OC1

144 @ 2700 - 9 x 300

Memory on 2/3 divider - 300 / 3*2 = 200 mhz
OC2

144 @ 2600 - 10 * 260

Memory on 4/5 divider - 260 / 5*4 = 208
OC3

144 @ 2500 - 10 * 250

Memory on 4/5 divider - 250 / 5*4 = 200
So, are all of the above doable? (hoping the 1st one is for sure :D)

Thanks.

Associate
OP
I'm confused as well in that the only dividers I know of are 1/1, 2/3, 5/4 . What others are there that I can work with. And, would I get bad results by running the ram lower than it should be in the following example?

144 @ 2610 mhz - 9 * 290

Memory on 2/3 divider - 290 / 3*2 = 193

My ram is a mixture of basic generic stuff and corsair value select until I can be bothered getting better stuff. Think its all set to auto. Not something I have played with. Am running 4 x 512 modules which most others seem to frown upon as well. Have to be run at 2t. Not an area where I am concerned to be honest. Its going well enough for me not to have to spend any money at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom