Photographing jewelry.

Man of Honour
Other half has started making jewelry over the past couple of weeks.

She wants to sell them on fleabay and to friends - but also wants a gallery of things she can do online.

Fair enough - just want a few hints on how to make them look their best.

Sadly - I've forgotten to bring in the memory card with a couple of examples that I did earlier this week - will be shooting off at lunchtime to get it.

She's using things like rose quartz, pearls, blue fiberoptic beads, chrome beads amongst other stuff.

Thinking that using a pale green or grey background colour and not using the flash at all - using the macro mode and reasonably long exposures.

Having to use a Canon A80 as I'm waiting for my new camera to arrive. :(

Also thinking of putting a coin in shot or something like that to show the size of the item.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

Ta.

Simon/~Flibster/~Henpecked

Man of Honour
You're along the right lines, flash and close-ups can be a real pain in the rear, especially on something shiny.

There are tents / lightboxes available out there to do this sort of thing but I tend to just use a big sheet of white paper loosely draped over a box and onto the table in a gentle curve to give a smooth background under and behind the subject. Then it's just a case of a big f number for a good depth of field and the fairly long exposure that comes with it.

Associate
I used to have an A80 and remember it was very bad at washing out a picture with too much flash, even if you reduced the output in manual mode.

Ideally you want to take the pictures in daylight so it wont flash, but you might want to look at making a flash bounce or filter if this isnt possible.

Man of Honour
OP
Few examples of the sort of thing I've been getting.

Lots of colour correction has gone on to get them looking right.

Click for 100% sized versions

Any suggestions? *apart from re-doing the first one as it's FAR too washed out*

Simon/~Flibster

Man of Honour
If the background you're using is white then setting a custom white balance off it will save you doing the colour correction.

The second one is probably a better composition than the other two in that you can see the main details of the piece, the little tail for want of a better word is in focus whereas in the first it's in the out of focus area. I wouldn't say it's necessary to get the whole piece in focus as long as the details are and all that's in the OOF bit is a repeated pattern section. Having said that the depth of field is very shallow due to the subject distance so the closest part of the bracelet is slightly out.

It might be worth taking a look at a DoF calculator on the web and seeing what aperture and distance settings you'd need to get at least half the diameter in focus.

Man of Honour
OP
rpstewart said:
If the background you're using is white then setting a custom white balance off it will save you doing the colour correction.

Sadly not - was a pale grey or pale green iirc.... Stupid I know... :D

The second one is probably a better composition than the other two in that you can see the main details of the piece, the little tail for want of a better word is in focus whereas in the first it's in the out of focus area. I wouldn't say it's necessary to get the whole piece in focus as long as the details are and all that's in the OOF bit is a repeated pattern section. Having said that the depth of field is very shallow due to the subject distance so the closest part of the bracelet is slightly out.

That little tail bit is just the end - it's a magnetic bracelet so thats just a little bit I unpeeled from the rest of the block.

2nd was my favourite as well - going to try and have another play tomorrow once I've bought a new tripod. Went searching for mine yesterday and found that it was left at Autosport International. Bugger.... :(

Oh well - Upgrade time. :D

Got to admit - finding the A80 a bit of a pain the the botty for these shots. It's fine day to day but I miss my old film camera for these. :(

It might be worth taking a look at a DoF calculator on the web and seeing what aperture and distance settings you'd need to get at least half the diameter in focus.

Worth a shot - most of these were taken from around 3-6" away I think.

Ta. Will have a play. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Back
Top Bottom