What NAS?

Associate
I haven't been able to find anything similar, but can anyone point me in the direction of an empty NAS device?
I already have ata133 160GB disk to go in it.

Do these things exist?

If not are there any SOHO NAS devices that include Windows Active Directory integration?

Associate
you can get HDD enclosures. AS for whih ones will work in active directory, i dunno. If you want active directory to work just install a cheap and cheerful Pc with a NIC and loads of hard drives attatched to it.

Edit: best off asking in the HDD forum really.

Associate
well its not a true NAS,

you need to install software on each pc to get acsess to it, by all means if you dont mind doing it then thats one problem gone, there were a lot of threads on it over on the hard drive forum if you do a search you can have a read through see what you think

Associate
OP
Just been looking at the specs for the SC101.
No good for me as you need client software installed in order to access it.

Reading some online reviews a lot mention overheating and random disconnects.

Are there any other alternatives?

Associate
cheap case- £14.99, PSU- £30 NF2mobo with onboard video,LAN and SATA £40, SKTA cpu >1Ghz £50, 200GB sata disk-£65, 256DDR400- £15

Total- £215 which is about the same as a NAS solution but more expandable, covers all interface types, SATA, PATA, USB, FIREWIRE, RAID options for data protection/speed.

cheap and cheeful fileserver is far better than any basic NAS, the £1500 touches are obviously better, but they don't cost £250.

Back
Top Bottom