Ex Police vehicles!?

Permabanned
Hi all, I'm looking for a relatively cheap, but decent and reliable 2nd hand car. I've occasionally seen in Auto Trader and the like that ex police (decomissioned) vehicles appear for sale.

I was wondering if anyone knew of an online site that could help with this (or a car auction site other than ebay).

Thanks

Associate
i would never buy an ex police car! then engine has been ragged + some times they use them for training(where they put them extra wheels on them) which can bend chasee(spelling) but i would say no go. see what others say!

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Why would you want an ex-police car?
Those things would be abused, crashed and with a lot of miles.
The police mechanics would keep em running well but jesus I wouldnt go near one.

Associate
Guys, your forgetting ex-mod cars. They are tuned even greater than ex-police ones. However, they tend to only have british cars, where as the ex-police have a greater diversity of manufacturers.

Soldato
When I was looking for my car back in '04 I had a look at one place that had a load of obviously ex police cars and they were complete sheds! a lot of them were a real hack job where the kit was taken out, stupid milage, nasty mechanics wise and the guy was asking top money for them.

The guy was going on about "yeah but they've got cop suspension, cop engine....." yeah mate, nice one :D

Permabanned
OP
I guess there are two sides to this tho, and i'm looking at it from the perspective of everyone else.

I suppose I should have made myself a tad clearer. I'm interested in say an umarked volvo or 3 series BMW, yes the mileage may be high depending on what the vehicle was used for, but (and I thought) they are rigorously maintained, and serviced to a high standard as well as having the odd modification! Interior doesnt bother me, it could look like cheese and i'd be able to repair it!

Soldato
as said they are well maintained.

as for them being thrashed or damaged, just cos you go to "jo bloggs vip cars ltd", it CERTAINLY does not guarantee a un-thrashed or crashed car.

have you never thrashed your car - ever??

how many cars have i painted in my 18 years of painting....... incuding brand spankers / no miles :(

all i'd say is check the car well - whatever it is and wherever it's coming from ;)

Caporegime
ask yourself if your ever going to want to sell it

cos they have terrible residuals. Unless your paying silly money already (like 1 to 2k) you'll lose a lot

most people dont want an ex police vehicle, so finding a buyer if you want to sell it will be hard.

If your going to drive it into the ground for 2 years with no servicing, then it might just be a bargain.

Soldato
Oracle said:
I guess there are two sides to this tho, and i'm looking at it from the perspective of everyone else.

I suppose I should have made myself a tad clearer. I'm interested in say an umarked volvo or 3 series BMW, yes the mileage may be high depending on what the vehicle was used for, but (and I thought) they are rigorously maintained, and serviced to a high standard as well as having the odd modification! Interior doesnt bother me, it could look like cheese and i'd be able to repair it!

They WILL have huge mileage on them, plod practically live in them.My cousin managed to roll his unmarked 3 series when he hit a kerbstone at speed.It was repaired and back in service before he was :)

Soldato
My Dad was in the Police and thus we frequently had unmarked Police vehicles on our drive. Would I buy one? Absolutely not! They are not a rigourously maintained as you might think - normal cars are only serviced to manufacturers specs and quite frequently run over unless the driver reports it to the fleet dept. Any faults are up to the driver to report, and given there is usually a car park with a dozen cars to choose from nobody can be bothered taking the dodgy car to the garage and so it gets driven with the fault until it breaks or somebody who cares informs the garage. Most policemen wouldn't let a police garage monkey pump the tyres up on their private car, let alone anything else.

They rarely get cleaned properly as officers have to do it themselves and most aren't bothered, my Dad would bring cars he used regularly home to clean them if he was going on a long trip because they were disgusting inside. Most of them had several items of trim in the glovebox that had been pulled off through lack of care - my Dad bought his own Nissan Primera in 1994 on the back of having one as a police car for 9 months and nothing had broken or fallen off on it.

I wouldn't touch any car that had been in a pool - nobody loves them and they get battered.

Suspended
Dead Dog said:
as said they are well maintained.

as for them being thrashed or damaged, just cos you go to "jo bloggs vip cars ltd", it CERTAINLY does not guarantee a un-thrashed or crashed car.

have you never thrashed your car - ever??

how many cars have i painted in my 18 years of painting....... incuding brand spankers / no miles :(

all i'd say is check the car well - whatever it is and wherever it's coming from ;)
Well said. A friend bought an ex-police 5 series a while ago and it's a great car for the money. No holes in the dashboard either...

Mic

Mic

Soldato
blueboy2001 said:
My Dad was in the Police and thus we frequently had unmarked Police vehicles on our drive. Would I buy one? Absolutely not! They are not a rigourously maintained as you might think - normal cars are only serviced to manufacturers specs and quite frequently run over unless the driver reports it to the fleet dept. Any faults are up to the driver to report, and given there is usually a car park with a dozen cars to choose from nobody can be bothered taking the dodgy car to the garage and so it gets driven with the fault until it breaks or somebody who cares informs the garage. Most policemen wouldn't let a police garage monkey pump the tyres up on their private car, let alone anything else.

They rarely get cleaned properly as officers have to do it themselves and most aren't bothered, my Dad would bring cars he used regularly home to clean them if he was going on a long trip because they were disgusting inside. Most of them had several items of trim in the glovebox that had been pulled off through lack of care - my Dad bought his own Nissan Primera in 1994 on the back of having one as a police car for 9 months and nothing had broken or fallen off on it.

I wouldn't touch any car that had been in a pool - nobody loves them and they get battered.
This would be the best advise your going to get in this thread tbh.

Back
Top Bottom