New site idea, opinions appreciated

Associate
Over the last few nights Ive had a few spare minutes and I've been playing about re-designing my web site. Im not sure whether or not Im actually going to overhall the whole site and change over to this as yet, but I thought I would test the waters with it atleast.

You can have a butchers at it here:

http://www.simplestuff.co.uk/light
http://www.simplestuff.co.uk/dark (different colour scheme)

Opinions would be grately appreciated. The one bug I know about is that the navigation only looks how it should at 1289x1024. I fudged the positioning of it to save time :p Obviously if I decided to change it all over, I will have to rectify this. Any thoughts on the best way to posistion it where I want it would also be welcome'd.

Anyway, thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I prefer the new one, but it'd be cool if you could incorporate both designs into eachother. Maybe the background of the current design could go on the new one in order to contrast the light coloured content? :)

Phil.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
too much white in the new one. it's too pale for me. i was having a pretty hard time reading your text because the massive white background was hurting my eyes.

Associate
OP
Cheers guys :) I must admit, looking at it "the morning after" it doesnt have the same impact on me as it did last night. I agree totally with the fact its a bit too light, I think that could be solved, as OvertoneBliss said, by having a darker body background. Incoperating the old design could be a possibility, I'll have a play next time I get some free time.

vaultingSlinky - Im not sure what you mean about the new name, its the same as the old one :confused:

Again, thanks for taking a look :)

Associate
very nice mate!

it is too light though but i like your code, and i like the look of it and the way it is designed.

i have a question though, how did you get that "bar" (the one with the nav on) to stretch right across like that? i've looked at the code but i cant work it out. :confused:

nin9abadga

Associate
OP
nin9abadga said:
very nice mate!

it is too light though but i like your code, and i like the look of it and the way it is designed.

i have a question though, how did you get that "bar" (the one with the nav on) to stretch right across like that? i've looked at the code but i cant work it out. :confused:

nin9abadga
Thanks :) The #navigation is outside of the #container so isnt constrained by margin: auto which centres everything. By default the width is set to 100%, so it stretches across the whole page.

I suppose for good measure I should have added width: 100% to my #navigation but it works all the same.

Associate
Flanders said:
Thanks :) The #navigation is outside of the #container so isnt constrained by margin: auto which centres everything. By default the width is set to 100%, so it stretches across the whole page.

I suppose for good measure I should have added width: 100% to my #navigation but it works all the same.

ah i see it now :)

good idea that, im gonna have an experiment with something like that myself i think ;)

nin9abadga

Associate
I actually prefer the new logo but it needs to stand out more; which has already been pointed out on this thread. The old logo looks very 90's to me :)

*EDIT* I still prefer the new logo, but can it be made smaller?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well, I couldnt leave it alone tonight, so I've tried it with a different colour scheme. Took some inspiration from an old Zen Garden design.

http://www.simplestuff.co.uk/dark

Having problems with a logo though, as soon as I make a suitable one, I'll update it.

EDIT:

Beginnings of a logo up, not sure if Im happy but it will do for now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
i think the old one looked better maybe edit the colour scheme slightly so its easier to read the text.

oh and its simplestuff yeh? that new dark one seems to be too complicated for simplestuff :p

Associate
OP
robmiller said:
Give it some contrast! Darken the text and logo a bit so that people can read it :)
Take a look at the "dark" variation. :)

Still not happy enough to change it over completely, but I think Im going to keep playing with it.

Mr_L - Thanks for the comments :)

Associate
I much prefer the dark version. Much more easier on the eyes ;)

Nice idea about the page icons, although you could add something else with the image perhaps a simple: HOME or ABOUT for appropriate pages?

Looks pretty sweet overall! Nice work...

Hendrix

Back
Top Bottom