Floorstanders on a budget....pls help

Associate
hey guys, my jamo E800's recently went pop so i'm looking to get a new set of speakers. I've got a rotel RA-931 Mk II. I would like to go the floorstanders route and have about £100 - £170 to spend.

After shopping around i've narrowed it down to the mission m73i or the kef cresta 30. Can anyone recomend either of the two (or any other good set of floorstanders)? They are both on richer sounds (would prefer to buy from them as i've heard their customer service is first class) The kef's are £100 and the missions are £150.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Soldato
xsnv said:
hey guys, my jamo E800's recently went pop so i'm looking to get a new set of speakers. I've got a rotel RA-931 Mk II. I would like to go the floorstanders route and have about £100 - £170 to spend.

After shopping around i've narrowed it down to the mission m73i or the kef cresta 30. Can anyone recomend either of the two (or any other good set of floorstanders)? They are both on richer sounds (would prefer to buy from them as i've heard their customer service is first class) The kef's are £100 and the missions are £150.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

DO NOT buy KEFs if your not getting Qs, there are loads of Qs on Ebay there were even some Q70s the other week and they went under you budget, replacement drivers are cheap and KEFs aftermarket service is excellent. ;)

MB

Associate
OP
Thanks a lot guys. The only reason i'm thinking of going new is i had a friend who bought a pair or mordaunt shorts of the bay. 2 weeks later one of the cones went pop and the seller wouldn't refund he's money so i'm a bit weary of the bay. Where can I buy decent speakers second hand (apart from the bay)?

The reason i'm not really after standmounts is when you factor in the price of quality stands, they end up as much as floorstanders anyway (which i've been told sound significantly better than standmounts - unless i've been misinformed).

Anyone know where to get decent 2nd hand speakers?

Soldato
xsnv said:
Thanks a lot guys. The only reason i'm thinking of going new is i had a friend who bought a pair or mordaunt shorts of the bay. 2 weeks later one of the cones went pop and the seller wouldn't refund he's money so i'm a bit weary of the bay. Where can I buy decent speakers second hand (apart from the bay)?

The reason i'm not really after standmounts is when you factor in the price of quality stands, they end up as much as floorstanders anyway (which i've been told sound significantly better than standmounts - unless i've been misinformed).

Anyone know where to get decent 2nd hand speakers?

Hmmmmmmm, floorstanders aren't the be all and end all and they will only give their best in a large'ish room, they will probably overpower a small room. Standmounts exist for a reason and they can give stunning results, don't dismiss them

If you bought KEFs off ebay, as I said you can always get new drivers and fit them yourself (they are quite cheap). If your room is medium I would go for Q30s or Q35s, if its larger than the Q50s would be more suitable.

As for other places to try have a look at hififorsale.com freeads for some nice stuff but nowhere is going to give you 100% piece of mind if you buy privately, there aren't many stores which deal in secondhand mid range hifi as there isn't much profit in it. You could try Audio T and other dealers with secondhand stuff http://www.audiot.co.uk/html/listings/index.php?srch_cat=g_7

MB

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks a lot man .... ight then....will go bargain hunting. Let you know if i find anything....

P.S. I'm guessing you're the "badass" of the av forums....:)

thanks again

Soldato
xsnv said:
Thanks a lot man .... ight then....will go bargain hunting. Let you know if i find anything....

P.S. I'm guessing ** the "badass" of the av forums....:)

thanks again

In presence alone :D There are people here that know a lot more than me here Mr_Sukebe, Commited and 9designs2 bit know more then me but I do have some experience of doing stuff on a budget :)

MB

Soldato
MattB's advice of going to Audio-T or similar is excellent. These stores often let you home demo stuff too - needs a largeish deposit - but it's a great idea.

Try lots of different brands and find what you like. If you're room is less than 10sqm then standmounts are your only choice, if it is between 10 and 25sqm then you're into the small-medium sized floorstanders or bookshelves, over 25sqm - floorstanders are the way to go. That's all imho, but I feel that it's a reasonable guide - obviously every room & pair of speakers is different.

EDIT:
I dont know what your local store is, but:
B&W DM602.5 Black S/hand £400.00 £175.00 BREN
Mission 771 S/hand £69.00 BREN
Ruark Epilogue 2 Black S/hand £175.00 SO
KEF Q35 Cherry S/hand £350.00 £175.00 SW
are all worth a sniff :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
commited said:
MattB's advice of going to Audio-T or similar is excellent. These stores often let you home demo stuff too - needs a largeish deposit - but it's a great idea.

Try lots of different brands and find what you like. If you're room is less than 10sqm then standmounts are your only choice, if it is between 10 and 25sqm then you're into the small-medium sized floorstanders or bookshelves, over 25sqm - floorstanders are the way to go. That's all imho, but I feel that it's a reasonable guide - obviously every room & pair of speakers is different.

EDIT:
I dont know what your local store is, but:
B&W DM602.5 Black S/hand £400.00 £175.00 BREN
Mission 771 S/hand £69.00 BREN
Ruark Epilogue 2 Black S/hand £175.00 SO
KEF Q35 Cherry S/hand £350.00 £175.00 SW
are all worth a sniff :D

Thanks man....where did you get those from?

What do you think about a pair of kef Q3's for £145?

P.S. are the Q35's better than the Q3's?

Associate
OP
lol...tbh I don't really know that much about speakers. I'm really fussy when it comes to my music though.

Ok how about the q55's any good? better than the q3's

sorry if i'm getting annoying

Soldato
YOU need to listen them/some. All speakers have a "voice" and tone or character, doesn't mean they are good or bad, just different. I hate metal doom tweeters for example, they ring like a bell. Others like the "zing" they give to music. I general think ported speakers, and cheap floor stands have terrible loose bass. Am I right ???... no, that's just my taste..... Try some Monitor Audio or Mission, for example. The Ruarks would be one I would try, as they have a good reputation for smooth treble and well controlled sound. BUT probably will need a very good amp to get the best from them.
Visit your local deal and see what they offer, see if anything appeals to you and then report back.
But with your budget I think you will struggle. Plus I'd always get the best CD /front end I could first before spending out to much on speakers.....

Associate
OP
thanks......advice taken. One more question though; whats the difference between an 8ohm and a 6 ohm speaker? (i know they are resistances ) but what do they transate to in reality?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom