• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading help - old sli or new single card?

Soldato
Looking to upgrade my graphics card within the next few months, but don't have a lot to spend. I've scaled it down to two options, which are..

Go sli with the card i've already got or upgrade to a 7800 and sell my current card.

So

2 X ocUK Inno GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

OR

1 X OcUK GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Advantages and disadvantages please :)
:confused:

Soldato
the 6800GTs will be a bit faster, but then theres no upgrade path from there and then theres all the annoyances SLi brings. Like cooling problems, drivers and general bugs. Plus a single 7800GT would probably be a little cheaper

Soldato
alexisonfire said:
There must be some things sli can process faster than one graphics card, no? Someone must know the details :p

Well, my 780GT gets just over 4k in 3dmark06, as you saw the sli 6800GT get 4600ish.

Like i said they will be a little faster but not wortht he trouble imo (maybe needing a ne wPSU, more heat so possible new coolers, more noise and so on).

Back
Top Bottom