Windows remote connection to a MAC

Associate
Howdi,

I am wondering if there is any way, and if so how, that i can Remotely connect to a MAC from my Windows PC?

I can control my Windows PC from the MAC so I would have thought it would be easy :)

Any info welcome.

Cheers
Saviola

Caporegime
Oh god please let this be easy without the Mac user needing to install anything or open any ports in their router. I need to support someone using a Mac who knows pretty much nothing. Installing software or messing with a router will end in a world of pain, so if a solution comes along, I'm all over it.

Associate
OP
Yeah just been looking at some other options. VNC is used at the moment but has horrible lag at times.

Will look into Putty and SSH. Use SSH elsewhere so no worries with that part.

With Putty can you control the MAC like an RDC client? Or just command line?

Permabanned
Apple Remote Desktop Client 2.1 (which comes with OS X.4) has a built-in VNC server, so you could use that. You will still need to install a VNC client on your PC though.

SSH is shell-access only I'm afraid. However you can tunnel a VNC connection over SSH. The advantage of this being that data transmitted after the login stage is encrypted, and that you need only have port 22 open on the server machine.

ARD's VNC server is a bit chuggy, OSXVnc is reported to be the quickest one out there for Mac.

Back
Top Bottom